Looking for an outdoor on the run business tablet!

Discussion in 'Professions' started by cblax101, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cblax101

cblax101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Business & Tech Savvy Friends!

I own a mobile business that requires me to be on the run between our different sites at the beach, bay and shop. As I am on the go, I cannot rely on wireless, I need something that has a mobile plan, 3G or whatever they have these days! My staff is scattered in different locations and all have iphones and androids, so I need to be able to update schedules and reservations in real time and for them to be able to see the updates. I also do email, run credit cards, and update our website. Thankfully, my credit card authorization company has apps for android and ipads and everything else can be done via safari.

1. Any recommendations as to if I should be looking at an ipad or an android?

2. Any recommendations on an app that is compatible for both android and iphones that my staff could individually download and be able to see that day's schedule and any updates I add as the day goes on?

Thank you!
    Cristin

2. bronzedAussie

bronzedAussie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I read your post from Oct last year re choosinbg a tablet.
    I'm in the same place. My guess is by now you have chosen and tested.
    If I may ask what did you choose and has it done the job well?

Satya

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've recently bought the Thinkpad Tablet 2, which can use 3g and has Wacom. It also has a Griffin Survivor case available to make it rugged.

You could also try the Dell Latitude 10, which has a 3g capable model and has a Griffin Survivor case available. It's supposed to have a brighter screen with better contrast, but the TT2 has a pen silo (for a regrettably very thin and small pen-- really only for emergencies).

Both of those run Win 8.1 and are touch and Wacom pen capable, as well as 3g capable, and have the rugged case option. If you're fine with Win7, there's the newly updated cl910 from Motion Computing, which is supposed to have a very bright and readable outdoor screen. It comes with an Ntrig pen with a silo. It also costs over 1000$.

Finally, there's the newly released Fujitsu q584, which has a bright screen, Wacom pen with silo, and run Win 8.1. It runs about 800-900$.

That's about it. As I could get the Thinkpad Tablet 2 on ebay, with 4g and Wacom pen, for around 350$, that's what I went for.