Looking for an EMR 2in1 laptop, Like the Concept D

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mooni_nooni, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Hi, Looking for a Wacom EMR laptop. I love the concept D ezel 7 unlike the D9 it fits a little more into my budget, also comes in white which I feel is aesthetically pleasing lol.
    Except I don't know much about any of the Wacom EmR laptops in the market lately, I've lost track and I'm interested in more options that are under $2000.
    I'm looking for something that has Wacom EMR ( maybe touch too) and is suitable for heavy graphics ( 3D art, Gaming).
    I would NEVER settle for anything that is Wacom AES or Ntrig or Apple pencil EVER again. Nothing to me beats Wacom EMR.
    I was willing to throw my money at the concept D 9 but I barely earn $8000 a year.
    I also buy from afar, I buy online from the USA and ship it to my location so NO returns which makes me itchy wanting to buy something that's over $2000.
    So I want I know what options are in the market, I truly believe the EZel 7 it terms of desgin is unbeatable ( I don't like thick bezels ) but I have to be cautious.

( I prefer Windows OS, battery life not less than 3 hours, Size 14 inches or more, refurbished or New unless used in MINT condition)

(Note: If I can't get Wacom EmR at the right price, would getting the concept D ezel with AES will be an okay option, since I could just use my trusty normal graphic tablet instead and switch between the two, The best reccomend option with great color gamut and GPU recommendations will be accepted around $1400. This part of the market can come with too many options to decide)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as new computers go, there aren't a whole lot of other options aside from the Samsung Flex line that includes Wacom EMR and Nvidia MX GPUs.

If you're looking for something well under budget, a Samsung 9 Pro (make sure it is version with Wacom EMR) is a good value, and it has a Radeon GPU.

Aside from the ConceptD line, I don't know of anything else that has higher end GPUs for heavy graphics with EMR. I'd say all the Samsung offerings have light to moderate graphics capability.

I needed something that handles heavy graphics (3D animation), and was not willing to splurge for a ConceptD. I actually repeatedly use my Galaxy Note 8 phone which has Wacom EMR, attached to my gaming laptop via an Android app called SuperDisplay, which makes the phone work like a Wacom Cintiq because it relays the EMR pen input. To me, that is the cheapest solution for an EMR and high end GPU mobile workstation. Instead of a 6" phone screen, you can upgrade to a 10" tablet using a Samsung Tab 6 Lite (~$250 USD).

Marty likes this.
  3. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

You're right, Besides Samsung there isn't anything modern on the market with EMR and a decent GPU. Samsung is gorgeous and sleek and light I won't deny that. Makes it better for portability. I actually have a tab S6 lite already and use it as a normal graphic tablet with virtual Spen. ( Lags a lot of Krita ,great with clip) I specifically use;. Photoshop and Paintstorm and Corel painter. I use the S6 lite for comic work. But I specifically need a laptop replacement ready to used for drawing anytime. I'm desperate to away from Wacom AES but I feel like the Form factor of the EZel is waaay to good to skip, but the extra $1000 for EMR and the extra expenses and risk makes it so so difficult to choose. The only option I don't have is using an external graphic display if that option for me was available I'd just get the most affordable, gaming laptop with a good screen.

I'm wondering if anything new is coming into the market that might be worth the wait?

I heard a couple of complaints about eh EZel 3 screen quality? Anything on that?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The rumoured new Galaxy Book Pros may come with OLED, high-refresh and either Tiger Lake or Nvidia MX GPUs. Should be suitable for light-to-medium 2D/3D graphics workloads.

For the heavy stuff, the ConceptD 7 Ezel or 9 are looking to be the only game in town for EMR.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you saw the video review I posted, they live up to the old name "flex" really horribly. Never seen a laptop trackpad click from pressing the bottom of the laptop upwards before.

I think you will learn to hate AES on the Ezel 3 or any screen, from all the reviews I've seen the Ezel 3 in particular cuts too many corners. A gaming laptop might serve but last year's Dell XPS 15 7500 was a really solid laptop with a great screen. Some reviews claimed it truly wiped the floor with the 16 inch Macbook pro at $1200 compared to $2400 for the MBP 16.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/356...-this-laptop-instead-of-a-macbook-pro-16.html

Or go for a budget workstation that is certified to be able to run more demanding 3D Apps like the HP firefly and connect your normal graphic tablet. Just be careful that it truly handles 3D - I have an HP zbook x2 for example that has a 14 inch EMR screen and an Nvidia graphic card but that card basically powers the 4K screen - not the 3D applications.

6. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

Zombie thread... but in case you're still on the hunt (as we all tend to be). Another option that's down a slightly different path... XP-Pen and Huion both make tablets which don't require wall outlets. So I finally gave up on finding the perfect 2-in-1 and just got a gaming laptop with a 1050 3gb and i5-9300h ($550) and then an XP-Pen 13.3" artist pro ($240). Tablet is a Wacom killer and the two fit together fine in a standard 15.6" range backpack. Since I don't need laptop screen, I can drop brightness all the way down and get pretty good battery life while I work. No outlet needed, the tablet is powered by a couple of USB slots.

Just throwing it out there. Of course I have since started hunting for the perfect 2-in-1 again lol. Cause I'm a sucker.

Lilawyn likes this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Huion tablets also now offer felt nibs, which is a big deal to me. Tactile feedback is a big issue for me when drawing, and felt nibs have been one of the reasons I've not tried out a Huion or XP-Pen device. The other biggie is touch input, which Huion lacks, but XP-Pen has. But XP-Pen doesn't sell felt nibs yet. If I could combine the two, I'd be very golden. Huion even offers etched glass options, which I also like.