Looking for affordable, standalone drawing tablet (like a Cintiq Companion)?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Poncakes, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poncakes

Poncakes Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: Revised post to form guidelines

Hi everyone, first post here :)

1. What is your budget?
    < $600 if possible, $700 if there's absolutely nothing in that price range

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Yes, exactly what I'm hoping for

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Any of the below is a good size for me.
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Preferably NOT Apple products

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

7-9 would be nice, I am out of the house the entire day and would like for my sketch pad to last that long. Not too much of an issue as I can charge it at work though.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing, maybe some light web surfing to look for reference pics

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Prefer Windows. I use an iPhone.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Clip Studio Paint and Paint Tool SAI would be nice to have on the tablet, but I'm okay with any other good drawing program.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Just want a comfortable drawing experience so a little on the large side

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

No not really

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?

Yes, with pressure sensitivity.. no preference on Wacom pens

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    No preference

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    No preference, anything is OK! Would be nice to have a USB to transfer images to computer.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

3. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Pen Pal - Newbie

I've made a journal listing all the options I've found outside of Wacom here: Wacom Alternatives - Cintiq Alternatives
    They're all screen tablets which require being plugged into a separate computer to work.

I don't know which brands you're looking at but I've had nothing but good experiences with alternative tablets. So much so that I'm starting to get biased against Wacom's high pricing.
    I use a XP-Pen Artist 16 Pro Graphics Tablet with screen and I've had experience with an Ugee HK1560 and both of them are great tablets which give you the "drawing directly on the screen" experience for way less than Wacom. One thing to keep in mind though is that no Wacom alternative offers multi-touch (finger touch input) on their tablets, so if that's something important to you, your only option is Wacom (or 2-in-1 computers).

I recommend the XP-Pen Artist 15.6 or the XP-Pen Artist16 Pro for a medium size tablet.
    I recommend the XP-Pen Artist 12 for a small size tablet, and the XP-Pen Artist22 Pro or Artist 22E Pro if you want to go straight for a big screen tablet right off the bat.
    Buy them off from their offical store ( https://www.storexppen.com ) and you'll be able to return them within 30 days if it's not to your liking. It's at least worth a try because if it works for you, it'll save you so much money compared to buying the same sized Cintiq.

If you're looking for 2-in-1 tablet computers (the ones which are laptops with screens you can draw on), then you'll probably be hard pressed to find one for under 800 USD with specifications that will support heavier drawing programs. From what I know, most brand new 2-in-1 tablet computers cost at least 1000 USD with fair specs, but well, I'm not really that knowledgeable about 2-in-1 computers, so don't take my word on it.