Looking for a tablet with dedicated stand alone gps chip?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by trooper1954, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trooper1954

trooper1954 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, Brand new here and to the world of tablets. I'm looking to buy a tablet that has a dedicated GPS chip....in other words one that will work independently of network or cell phone coverage.
    Any and all suggestions and tips would be helpful.
    Thank you.

2. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

It's primarily a matter of checking the specs for the one that has a chip, deciding what other specs suit your needs (what size screen, which OS, do you need pen input, etc) and very importantly, using the proper software that can work offline effectively (with GPS, but no wi-fi or cell network) .

For example, I use Nokia Here Maps because it allows you to download all the mapping data for offline use, either by state (in the US) or by entire country. Periodically fresh maps are offered for free as well. This app is on Windows, Android or iOS, but I use it on Windows with my Thinkpad Tablet 2 (an older but still reasonable tablet for basic tasks such as mapping and note taking). With this setup, I can pull up directions, locations and my current position from the tablet (in the car, etc) without cell or Wi-Fi.

I think Google Maps has some basic (but improving) offline technology as well, but Google mapping is generally a poor experience on Windows tablets (no dedicated app available) and you'd be better off with Android if Android is otherwise sufficient for your needs.

I'd recommend finding a tablet that you'd like in terms of other factors, and then verifying if it has GPS by checking the specs or post the specific model(s) here and other users can hopefully verify since sometimes it's hard to get the straight story from the manufacturer.

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The GPS in all LTE/GPS combos works independently of cellular network coverage. I frequently use my built-in GPS without a SIM card and with no network connection.

If a device comes with built-in 3G/LTE connectivity, it will have an independent GPS too.

Lenovo, HP, and Fujitsu offer these options for their business-oriented devices.

4. trooper1954

trooper1954 Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks to both of you. I spent yesterday on line doing some research, and came up with a Asus Google Nexus 7 with 16 or 32 GB storeage....any opinion or comments?
    Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.