Looking for a Sandisk SSD P4 64Gb drive for my ep121

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Uber103, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Uber103

Uber103 Pen Pal - Newbie

Help - my 32GB ep121 is on its last legs - the drive only has 800 Mb left. But I pretty much need everything currently installed on it.

I have in the past - attempted to upgrade this slate with the intel 80Gb mSATA card. But the Slate simply won't take it.
    I tried this with two different Intel units. An expensive failure.

My Slate is one of the very first units, so I theorize that it either does not have enough power to drive a 3'rd party card,
    or somehow its BIOS is whitelisting the cards it will accept.

Whatever the reason for this computer to be so finicky, my current working theory is that if it works reliably with the stock "Sandisk SSD P4 32Gb" drive, it should accept the higher capacity "Sandisk SSD P4 64Gb" card that the manufacturer originally shipped the slates with. Unfortunatly, these units are no longer available. (I have searched EBay and Amazon and other sites, but no luck).

I don't need a large SSD, just something a little larger than the 32Gb stock disk it currently uses.

Maybe someone out there has successfully upgraded their slate to a higher capacity drive, but still has their old "Sandisk SSD P4 64Gb" drive still kicking around. And maybe they would be willing to part with it.

I know others have had success with various drive upgrades, but I have not been so lucky. I am very hesitant to spend money on some 'recomended' drive, based purely on anecdotal evidence that it had 'worked' for others.
    So, my question is, does anyone have a spare P4 ?

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

what version of bios do you have?

I don't think the early version of ep121 is the problem.

3. peter.hardie

peter.hardie Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a very early slate as well. I recently upgraded it to a 240GB msata munchkin using the instructions in this forum. It works really well. I had some freezing issues with the 64gb drive but you're welcome to it. That said, I'd need to reformat it and I'm swamped at work so it would be a couple of weeks before I get to it.

If you're interested, email me at p e t e r j h a r d i e at g m a i l dot c o m.

4. toom

toom Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're still in need of the 64, I've got one. email at t j m d d s at c o m c a s t dot n e t.