Looking for a replacement for a surface 3, that can be used for photoshop and basic notetaking

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kero, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kero

kero Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking for an replacement for my broken, 4gb ram, surface 3 that can be used for making illustrations on photoshop with minimum lag, and note taking.

1. What is your budget?
    anywhere under 1000$

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I'd prefer not to if I don't have to

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I'm looking for a 2n1 weather it's a surface like tablet or a convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12' at the very lest but I'd love to get something with 15' if I can

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    The US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I don't have any dislikes. But I'd prefer to have a 2n1 that runs wacom aes for the pressure sensitivity

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    I don't mind having to run with a lower battery life if I have to but I'd prefer something similar to the surface 3's 8 hours of battery life.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing, web surfing, Light entrainment (no videogames), and note taking

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I'm fine with either windows for mac so long as it can run photoshop cc

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    photoshop cc and one note(or an one note alternative)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    no

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1,920 by 1,280 pixels but larger would be nice if I could afford it

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    no

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    I used n-trig but I'd prefer to get something with wacom AES so that I can use it's larger range of pressure sensitivity and pen tilting in photoshop cc.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I'm ok with a lower hardware size since I put most of my work on to a mico sd but I'd prefer 8gb but expandable memory would also be cool

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I'd Love it if I had an mico sd so I could just put all of the art and brushes from my old tablet right into it but it's find if it doesn't, USB's are a must and It'd be nice if it was usb 3.0, also HDMI would be amazing to have but it's not necessary.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I don't care if the 2n1 has a back light in it's keyboard or crummy speakers, since I tend to like working during the day time or in light and like to use headphones so if there's a 2n1 pc in my price range with those issues I have no problem with that.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. kero

kero Pen Pal - Newbie

does anyone have any ideas???

3. mistake the mizan

mistake the mizan Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortuantely, you are going to find limited options at those larger sizes, especially under $1,000.

I'll start things out--If you don't mind going towards convertible (and somewhat on the heavy side), I would bring up the Thinkpad Yoga 14/460. 14" screen, Wacom AES, HDMI out, USB 3.0. Direct from Lenovo, or there is a $899.99 version at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lid-state-drive-black/4456400.p?skuId=4456400

4. kero

kero Pen Pal - Newbie

I've actually been looking at that one and I have no problem with convertibles.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

6. kero

kero Pen Pal - Newbie

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Considering you're going from the Surface 3....I would recommend the Lenovo Mixx 700. Its Core M is substantially more powerful then the Surface 3's atom, it has a larger 12-inch screen, keyboard cover is included, Wacom AES, and its relatively cheap, its been sold for as low as $399 by the Microcenter (Core M3, & 4GB config).

You won't find Tilt Control though....not till Wacoms Gen 13 pens coming out next year. For now you can only get tilt control on the Cintiq Companions or the Ipad Pro.

8. schmalvaro

schmalvaro Pen Pal - Newbie

To clarify, the MIIX 700 uses ELAN Microelectric's implementation of Wacom's AES spec resulting in compatibility with AES pens, but not with Wacom's Feeldriver. That said, it's a really good machine and can't be beat for the price; top of the line model can usually be had for under $700.

9. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

How's the battery life on the miix

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you looked at the m3 Surface Pro 4? I think it ticks all your boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.