Looking for a old Wacom EMR device with large display, for drawing.

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by anguscoleman, May 27, 2019.

1. anguscoleman

anguscoleman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to everyone. First I must tell, as drawing mobile devices I own:
    1) Asus ep121 that has got a bit out of date, but overall has small display (12"),
    2) Cube y7 styus, very good machine but with 10" display.
    3) Surface pro 4, only 12" and terrible (for me) pen technology.
    Since I own also a couple of Cintiq-chinese clones (very good) for desktop stations, I would like to buy a used pctablet with EMR technology, with bigger display (from 14" up), to draw on the sofa etc. I was looking the old Fujitsu T904, in Italy I could get it with 400 euros. But the display s just 13,3".
    Is there something bigger, same age, and still cool to draw with, nowadays?
    Thank you very much for future advices. And ...sorry for the english.

Angelo :)

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Biggest but affordable one you can get that has Feel driver support is the old ass (but still usable) Fujitsu T902 (13.3"). If you got money to burn, you can go a little bigger and much more powerful with the HP Zbook X2 14".

Without the Feel driver support (AFAIK) is the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15". I bought that Samsung and tried it for couple days and returned it. I need my Feel driver, not only for the pen barrel button mapping but for that delicious Wacom pressure curve mapping....

Rondo60 likes this.
  3. anguscoleman

Hello, Shogmaster

thank you for the reply. I must confess I never knew about the Feel driver. I mean...I used my devices without really knowing if it was active or not (probably it was not). :). About the T902..is it better than the newer T904? Is generally more usable now than Asus ep121 (if you know it)?
    About Samsung notebook 9 pro I really would love it, but in italy is not sold - neither in the rest of europe is- so It could be a problem to order it from USA, with import taxes and difficulties in case of assistance etc. etc. And it is also much more expensive (1500 euro at least). The same for the zenbook x2. It is hard to buy it in Italy...and it is also too new. It costs still (at least in my country) more than 1500 dollars.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of the T904 because you can't upgrade RAM and it uses ULV 15W CPU where as the T902 uses more powerful ~35W CPU. But if those things don't bother you it's also a good choice.

5. anguscoleman

Thank you. The Fujitsu t902 and 904 in Italy are sold (used, or refurbished) at about 300 and 400 euros. So, shogmaster, t902 would still be you choice over the newer model, I see. So performances are pretty the same or even better in the older one? So the pro for 904 is only a lighter weight, I guess. One question appealing only to your personal tastes as artist: is it still a pleasant experience to sketch with t902 and photoshop? Thank you very much.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

A used T902 hits a unique sweet spot for numerous reasons if your looking for an affordable drawing machine:

-Still powerful (the full voltage chip still runs circles around many low poer slates and tablets)
    -up to 16 gigs RAM you can add yourself
    -The modular bay allows another battery, a second SSD, etc.
    -Wacom Feel driver support
    -13" 1600 x 900 is a bit low by today's standards, but still better size than most older machines around its age.
    -Sketching in photoshop with a T902 still feels on par with my Wacom Cintiq 22HD tethered to my desktop. I barely notice the difference between them except for the lightest of strokes (initial pressure required to activate). If you draw really slow you may find lines are a bit wobbly on some units, though no where near as bad as N-Trig tech.

For 300 euros its a pretty good deal. Especially if you have a SSD you can pop in it!

artistebot likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Check it out: There's one on eBay for $70 USD, plus another $66.50 for shipping internationally.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJITSU-LI...685823?hash=item340b49cebf:g:Ig8AAOSwOntctNji

You'd have to order a Penabled stylus, but those things are cheap. You might need more memory, but 4 gigs is plenty for basic drawing.

8. anguscoleman

Hello, guys. I thank you everyone for the precious advices and excuse me for the delay with my answers. Since I have read your words, I am looking for a T902 here in Europe (a bit less complicated than buying in USA, for me). I got an interesting offer:

FUJITSU Lifebook t902 Tablet PC, i5-3320m - 2.6ghz, 8gb, 240gb SSD .
    From Germany. In very good conditions, with a supplementary battery, for about 280 bucks. The only missing thing is the windows 7 /cd recovery. Now my fear is: in case I need to reset the Lifebook for any malfunction, will it be sufficient the internal recovery partition or will I need the CD? And, in this last case, does anyone of you gentlemen happens to own a file ISO of it, to send to me? Or being able to direct me toward any site where I can download it?
    Thank you very much for the time and attention I steal from you.:rolleyes:

Angelo Coletto

9. boombyte

boombyte Pen Pal - Newbie

So do you bought that one? If no--I can offer few. It's almost the best machine.
    I think 1600x900 not so bad. FullHD in some reason, in some program will be too small.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  10. anguscoleman

Hi, finally I bough an old T902 (sorry, Boombyte, I bought in germany). Wanted to ask a couple of question:
    1) Do I need to use a screen proctector film? Generally I use it on drawing tablet displays etc., but it seems odd on a notebook. Nonetheless, I would hate to get scratches due to long pen use.
    2) How about modular battery from china? They cost around 60 dollars. Maybe they are good. Original batteries costs around 200 dollars!

Thank you very much.

Angelo