looking for a note-taking tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ultra99, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

1. What is your budget? $300-500 CAD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Tablet or small 2 in 1.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? thinkpad, but open

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 8 hrs

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Mainly note taking using OneNote.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) OneNote

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? Don't care.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance N/a

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance Yes, need the pen, Wacom is better.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? N/a

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Misc

I need a 10-11" tablet to take notes on and take it along with my main laptop. I have the Asus VivoTab, but it's an 8", quite small. Would the Fujitsu Stylistic Q702 be a good choice now?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The Asus Mini Transformer or Surface 3 seems like a good fit for you.

3. ultra99

I actually tried the Mini Transformer but I didn't like it. There's something about the pen or OneNote, used to lag. Would it be because the Atom processor?

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Could be, the Surface 3 uses a higher end Atom processor and nobody complains about it. User @Bronsky has used it since its release and he swears by it.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The X7-Z8700 Atom is a significant step above the X5 Atom in the Asus. The Thinkpad Tablet 10 uses a slightly more powerul X7-Z8750 and Wacom AES pen. You can pick one up fairly inexpensively. I have used the Surface 3 as my only computer for the past 2.5 years. But, it may not be for everyone.

For your use, the Fuji is too heavy and unfit for the role you have in mind. I would look at the Galaxy Book 10. It has a step up in power to an Core M3 and Wacom EMR pen technology. If you look carefully, you can find them in the States for under $500. The GB10 is the best writing device I have tried. Period.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an Asus Transformer Mini, and it's good for note taking...but it's definitely slow. Notetaking is generally fine, but at times the whole system is very slow.

The Surface 3 is a very solid option, but it's discontinued, so warranty support could be dicey.

I haven't used the Galaxy Book 10, but it looks like a very solid option, especially since it has a m3 instead of an Atom.

7. ultra99

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into the Galaxy Book 10 but couldn't find any used/refurbished here in Canada. And it's quite expensive. What alternative would you recommend? and Atom processor is enough?

8. Bronsky

That's the big question. This generation Atom is already in its third year and Intel has discontinued the line. I would not expect to see Intel put a lot of effort into updating the drivers. I use the Surface 3 as my daily driver but I don't demand a lot of power. If you do, the Atom will be frustrating. I use it on the go for internet access (through my Galaxy Note 5's hotspot), serious writing, online research, email and an occasional youtube video.

The X7-8750 Atom in the Thinkpad Tablet 10 is probably the fastest Atom in a tablet. They are available here in the US for $325.19. http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/outlet...s/tablet-deals/ThinkPad-10-Gen-2/p/20E30031US You can get a Surface III, with a half-generation earlier X7 Atom for $300 and refurbished for a few dollars less.

BTW, I'm waiting to see what Windows for Arm brings. You might consider doing the same. The fulltime LTE and better graphics might be worth the wait.

9. ultra99

Thinkpad 10 is out of the question unfortunately. So maybe a Surface 3 is the only option. The Atom processor in the Surface 3 should suffice OneNote and lots of pdf, right?

10. Bronsky

OneNote is seamless as long as you keep your documents a reasonable size. I deal with fairly large productions of PDFs and sometimes loading takes time. Drawboard works fine as an annotator. It performs quite well with the Atom.

WillAdams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.