Looking for a note-taking tablet PC with a stylus - but without the capacitive touchscreen

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by SamH01, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamH01

SamH01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Jeff,

I can't find where the spreadsheet differentiates between Wacom EMR, AES, and other technologies --- I sincerely do apologize if I'm missing something. Remember, I'm trying to find a list of just Wacom EMR tablets.

Thank you.

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

10"? At the lower end of that range? If you don't like Surface?

Toshiba Encore Write 10 $399

It probably won't run Autocad or Max. But I have an 8" and it does run all office apps including OneNote very well. It runs Manga Sketch very well and Photoshop and SketchUp fine. I have beat on this thing and its been very reliable.

I like the Wacom AES pen better for note taking than any other pen I've tried and I have had 3 penabled tablets and a Cintiq.

Lots of stuff in this thread including a handful of tests and reviews I did on the 8"
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-toshiba-encore-2-wt8-b-encore-2-write.63815/

I think you need to get over your capacitive touch aversion. Not because that's an incorrect preference, but because the wave of tech is moving quickly away from you on every platform and limiting your options.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Filter on Wacom and Wacom Pro....

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why is this even a question? Can't you just disable capacitive touch input at the device manager level on any penabled device?

It's like you're setting up a roadblock to a plethora of tablets for no good reason.

5. SamH01

SamH01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom and Wacom Pro doesn't seem to differentiate between EMR and AES tech. While all the tablets listed as "Wacom Pro" use EMR tech, some of the tablets listed as just "Wacom" use EMR as well.

Anyways, for anyone scouring the web for a list of up-to-date EMR tablets, it appears there still quite a few out there: a list is available here at the bottom of the page.

6. SamH01

SamH01 Pen Pal - Newbie

This isn't about not having a capacitive touch screen. It's about EMR vs AES technology. I mentioned no capacitive touch screen in my original post because I didn't know what the technology I was trying to refer to was called at first. (I thought EMR was only available on those tablets without a capacitive touch screen - I was wrong).

The "good reason" is really that AES seems to work a lot better than EMR. For example, that Toshiba Portege Z10t you're selling uses the good ol' EMR tech I was asking about.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  7. SamH01

SamH01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I am surprised that you find your Toshiba Encore AES stylus works better than your Fujitsu t904 EMR!

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

EMR has always struggled with corners and edges, it also impacts battery life. That is why the industry is moving towards the N-Trig method of making the Stylus Active and Digitizer the receiver....

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You should buy it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.