Looking for a good tablet for College

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by gbf4ever, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbf4ever

gbf4ever Pen Pal - Newbie

I already have another laptop for gaming ect, just looking for a good tablet for note taking ect, to keep myself more organized.

1. What is your budget?
    1400 max

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Refurbished is fine, if I can get a better tablet.

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convertible, but more then open to other suggestions.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    * Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    * Large ~ 14"
    Atleast a 12.1

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    US
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not even sure if they make a tablet, but I'm not buying another dell. Other then that no preferance.
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Want at least 4, the higher the better but don't mind picking up an extra battery.
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Mostly note taking, with some word processing.
    9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Nope.
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Main program will be office.
    10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer a standard or widescreen display?
    No preferance
    2. What resolution do you prefer?

* XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    * SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. (Only resolution available in new tablets circa mid 2008)
    No preferance.

3. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    Would prefer it to be, but most of the use will be in classrooms, so not a major factor

4. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    No preferance.

5. Do you require Touch? (Which one: passive or capacitive)
    Would be a nice feature, but not really needed.

6. Do you require a Digitizer Pen ? (Which one: Wacom, Finepoint, or N-Trig Technology)
    Have no experiance with any of them, but whatever would be best for notetaking.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    Bigger the better, but don't need anything excessive.
    2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    No.

I don't need anything to fancy, but at the same time want something thats going to run at a good speed for what I need it for. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

take a look at the fujitsu t2020 or the compaq 2730p, for refurbished models, you can check the previous gen t2010 & 2710p. There are links to the OEM outlets in this "What tablet pc should i buy?" forum

3. gbf4ever

Was looking at refurbished fujitsu's originally, but really want something with atleast a 12 month warranty. Would a Lenovo x200 tablet fit my needs? Seem to have for the most part good reviews, and some decent deals on the lenovo outlet.

4. DRTigerlilly

yes it will. just that the other two are a little better @ battery ilfe...the x200t does have a faster processor though.

5. gbf4ever

Leaning back toward the Fujitsu now, can pick one up and pay for the extended warranty while still coming out a few hundred cheaper then the Lenovo's. How does the T5010 compare with the t2020?

6. DRTigerlilly

The t5010 is a more powerful machine, arguably one of the most powerful tablet pc's currently on the market. It won't get as long battery life as the t2020 on the 9 cell battery but can probably come close if configured with the bay battery plus the standard battery.

The fujitsu's are nice machines though.

7. gbf4ever

Great, thanks for the help. Decided to go with a refurbished T5010 with the mod bay battery. Now, just have to win an auction for one! :)

8. astroidea

astroidea Pen Pal - Newbie

$1400 is overkill for a note taking machine IMO.

A more entry level tablet such as the HP tx2500z at around $650 refurbished should be more than adequate for one note and a few browsers.

If you don't mind going used, the X61T is a very solid machine at around $600-700.

Note taking isn't exactly processor intensive. But I'd upgrade the ram($40 for 4GB?) to maximize your multitasking potential. If you want even more performance, the money spent on an SSD should be more beneficial in a note taking machine, and it would improve the reliability of the machine you have your precious notes on, as well as providing better battery life.

9. gbf4ever

Ended up going with the x200 tablet. Couldn't pass up the $430 off coupon code that dipped the system into my price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.