Looking for a Drawing Tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Tea Jay, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Unfortunately that is me lol

2. Mark Gonzales

Mark Gonzales Pen Pal - Newbie

Lol. Thanks anyways Shog

3. Schlave

Schlave Pen Pal - Newbie

It sounds like the surface pro LTE 256/8gb would be right for you! Usually runs less than $1500 new, and if you can get it used, even cheaper.

You're not going to get a machine that runs photoshop for 8 hours, but you can use a suitable external battery (such as omnicharge) to get extra mileage. Slap on a rugged case for outdoors use.

User serviceable has unfortunately been sacrificed on the altar of mobility. You're looking at one of the older motion computing tablets but they are heavier, slower and have less efficient processors.

4. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope. He wants removable parts so he has to go for an older device.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

5. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Although, if he's willing to not have removable parts, then it's a great choice!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

This is a bit of a long shot but I think this meets all of your requirements except user-replaceable parts, but you mentioned that you would love to get a Surface Book 2 but don't want to spend $3,000. Amazon has a number of sellers in Marketplace selling close-out Surface Book ("1") models and you can get a brand new, sealed in MS box SB with 6th gen i5/8GB/256GB/Nvidia d-GPU (equiv. to 940M, but customized for SB and with GDDR5 RAM, though only 1GB) for around $900. There are several vendors and I will tell you to avoid the one the link below lands on because I bought one and it was clearly used, but I returned and replaced it from the vendor called Homegoods Shop that you'll find on page 2 of the list of Marketplace sellers of used and new SB2s with this configuration and it arrived in a flawless sealed box and clearly was a new product.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Su...8&qid=1523573317&sr=8-1&keywords=surface+book

The downsides of this include:
    1) Only 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD (though PCIE/NVME) and neither are replaceable/upgradeable. There are plenty of similar packages available - including from this same vendor - with Core i7/16GB/512GB for $1.500, at the very top of your price range.

2) As compared to the SB2, this has a far weaker gpu and I'll let the artists weigh in on whether the modified 940M is strong enough for Illustrator

3) The pen that comes with it has 1024 levels of pressure, but for $99 you can buy the one sold with the latest Surface devices that promises 4096 levels, same as with SB2, and from what I read it is all pen-dependent, not screen digitizer and in any event it has the identical screen as the SB2.

Those are all the negatives as I see them. This is an absolutely magnificent laptop in every other respect and if you covet the SB2 this may be a way for you to get all the performance and functionality you need for 50% less. In fact, there is another seller that offers an "Open box" i7/16GB/512GB model characterized as "Like New" and they have a 100% customer satisfaction rating in the Amazon Marketplace (Homegoods has 99%)

You may want to look into this. There are tradeoffs compared to modern machines with 8th gen cpus, but if your application doesn't require that much cpu power, this is the identical hardware as the SB2 and I can tell you that after just a couple of days owning and using it, it is truly a "dream machine."