Looking for a Drawing Tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Tea Jay, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea Jay

Tea Jay Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? 500-1500$ ( Would rather not max it out at 1500$ but I may)

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Only Manufacturer Certified Refurbished products

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows Tablet or Possibly iPad due to LTE, but if there is a windows LTE then Screw the ipad! lol

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

• 10+ is what I am aiming for

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Anything Dell fails on me (except monitors, love their monitors), plz no dell

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

More the better, at least 8+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing for work

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Photoshop/Illustrator

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Not necessary as I have a gaming desktop

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Would be a plus, not necessary though.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

1920 x 1080 for ease of everything (Some programs do not scale well, so a 14" 4k Screen is eyeball- murder) Although 1440p is fine, or something odd like Microsofts 3000x2000 is also fine

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Mostly Indoors, but outdoors would be a plus

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Do not mind buying pen separately, but definitely needs pen support. More pressure points the better (4096+) Do not have a pen preference

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I'm pretty tech savvy, so I am aiming for replaceable everything, but 256gb+ and 8gb+

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Do not require any of those, they're all bonuses though.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    2-in-1's are ideal, Looking at the Lenovo Yogas or Miix,

NO Sony VAIO 2-in-1's, they have an un-removable battery :(

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I really love the Surface Book 2, but hate the 3000$ price tag, looking for something similar (not comparable in specs, just like the 2-in-1)

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

artistebot likes this.
  3. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

IAF = Initial Activation Force
    MPP = Microsoft Pen Protocol

:)

Shogmaster likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Also...

EMR = Electromagnetic Resonance.
    AES = Active Electrostatic.

I've recently become a true believer in Samsung. I'm currently working on the 15" Notebook 9 Pro 2-in-1. And while it has some drawbacks; it only has an effective 5 hour battery life, the screen uses PWM for brightness control, and a software workaround is necessary to enable proper functionality of the stylus, I'm otherwise really impressed with and enjoying working on this machine. It's a joy to draw on!

If you've never used a digital stylus before, and depending on the specific kind of work you do, the digitizer tech, (AES / EMR) you end up working with can make a significant difference to your sanity level. EMR is older and more mature and works beautifully. It is the technology upon which Wacom's Cintiq line of premium art tablets and desktop drawing boards are based.

AES is new and ubiquitous across all modern Surface devices and a growing number of contemporaries. It works well enough for many, but having put in six months of time with a 15.6" 2-in-1 running Wacom's own flavor of AES, I was happy to finally ditch it and get back to the roots of why I got into digital art in the first place. I found having to replace pen batteries a pain, and the dodgy reliability of the line quality was such that I began to grind my teeth and swear a lot while drawing. (AES is good for rapid pencil layouts and painterly work, but for slower drawing and precision inking and similar tasks, it's goddamned annoying, throwing random line glitches at you every few seconds. It made me hate my computer, increasing production time on a finished piece by an extra 20% to account for constant corrections.) Imho, AES wasn't pro-ready on the 2-in-1 I bought last year, and while there have been reported improvements with recent models, I remain skeptical based on what I've seen.

Samsung's Notebook 9 Pro comes in 13" and 15" sizes, and both, while expensive, can be had within the upper range of your budget. They also make a 10" and 12" tablet with a detachable keyboard.

My recommendation: if you need precision and value your sanity, don't mess around with half-baked tech. It's cheaper than Microsoft's stuff anyway. Win/Win.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    stoneseeker and Shogmaster like this.
  5. Shogmaster

I'm too lazy to explain abbreviations now days lol

stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

No modern convertibles have removable parts . So here is a Fujitsu Stylistic Q704 from 2014 . It has a user replaceable battery, 8 gigs of ram, Intel core i5, 128 gb ssd (which can also be upgraded),1920×1080 resolution. It's 13.3 inches. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PEN OR OS. (Since you are tech savvy, you probably already know how to install windows. If you dont, there are tons of vids on youtube.) The pen uses Wacom EMR technology. You can find the Fujitsu pen or you can use the Sp1 or 2 pen. You can also use the Spen and The Noris Digital. There are tons of pens that support EMR. It's only $199+New Battery ($130), Pen ($30-60), and Windows 10 Liscense Key-$100 (optional, if you are okay with having a small watermark in the bottom right corner, which is barely noticeable) Btw: You can activate anytime. The total price is only about $480! (Minus the 256 GB SSD, that I doubt you'll need, as 128 is adequete)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302686341579

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  7. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I meant 12.5 Inches

8. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm probably gonna pick up one of these for myself, with a life book t730

9. Shogmaster

Careful with T730. No way to tell if you are getting IPS or TN panel. Bought a T731 bc the seller said it was IPS. It was TN. Get T902 instead.

10. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I was gonna get a t730, then I found a great deal of a t902 for $109. I already have 4 GB ram lying around in a box in my closet, do I can upgrade it. Oh yeah shogmaster, don't you have a YouTube channel, as your user seems familiar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.