Looking for a Cintiq Companion alternative

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Celpacius, Sep 12, 2016.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wacom AES has 2048 pressure levels vs 1024 for Microsoft (N-Trig). Hover distance is shallower for AES. The Wacom Feel driver allows button customization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Shouldn't initial activation force be a little less on Wacom aes?

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes according to values I've seen posted by @Shogmaster but I don't find the real world difference to be that significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azzart likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've testing that theory lately by letting people who own SP3 or SP4 play around with my Miix 700. They all tell me that they can feel the Miix 700's pen having noticeable lighter touch without fail.

I personally think AES has absolutely noticeable IIF difference when people test them right after each other, or to Duo Sense 2 pen owners who's familiar with its IIF try the right AES pen for the first time. This certainly means plastic nib on glass, like Lenovo Pen Pro on Miix 700. Something like the Huawei Mate pen will be a poor example because of the rubber tip.

Ultimate test of IIF IMO is the Clip Studio Paint's Textured Pen tool at an extremely large size (100+ pixels). Earlier today I was drawing with it at coffee shop with a friend who had SP3. He says it's night and day after trying the Miix 700.

Marty and Azzart like this.
  5. Schlave

Schlave Pen Pal - Newbie

in answer to op's question:
    1. If you stay in the apple ecosystem - iPad Pro itself is a good alternative to cintiq companion with the astropad app. Doubles as a 2nd display and the pen works well with tilt in Photoshop. Don't know about illustrator. I have an iPad Pro but no MacBook; I base this opinion off message boards I've read from astropad.

2. If you want an all in one machine - you have to go Windows. like more experienced artists have weighed in here - you either get a versatile device with wacom aed/ntrig (which may take some getting used to) or an older, clunkier Wacom emr device. there are no Wacom emr solutions that provide the same blend of screen quality, battery life and versatility as the surface pro 3/4. The only tablet pc with both proc power and display quality is the vaio z canvas, also with ntrig, but the keyboard is separate and more fragile. Gpu power is only found in predominantly laptop form factors (such as yoga p40) which are significantly less comfortable to draw on.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, I'll mention that the Iris Pro graphics in the VAIO Z Canvasdoesn't fall too far from the 940M in the TPY14 and the Quadro version in the P40.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is spot on, except there is one odd bird out there.

The Fujitsu Lifebook t704/t735/t736

It uses Wacom EMR, and is a thin, powerful, modern machine. 13" screen, same size and ratio as the Wacom Companion line.

It looks pretty darned neat, but I'd find it too small for my preferences. It's also expensive; The used, older ones start at $600. If you can even find them.

It's the last modern EMR 2-in-1 machine around afik.

Vaga likes this.
  8. Vaga

Vaga Pen Pal - Newbie

Why not WACOM Mobile Studio 13? It's basically a Cintiq Companion 3

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Vaga

Vaga Pen Pal - Newbie

Edit: that may not be available in your timeframe

10. shiyong

shiyong Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're looking for something similar to a Companion you're short on options.

Surface Pros are pretty good for art - that's your best bet if you want SAI. Pressure levels is a meaningless number on tablets - it's not something you should focus on.
    You can't go Android or iOS so those options are out.

Aside from the Microsoft Surface series, you can look up 2-in-1 laptops online. There have been a lot of 2-in-1 laptops coming out recently and there could be cheaper alternatives to the Microsoft Surface laptops.

One thing to remember though is to at least get 8GB ram and an i5 processor .

I currently use a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing tablet monitor . It is a cintiq downgrade, but only because it does not have the muti-touch like the cintiq does. it support pen tilt , 8192 pen pressure levels , battery-free and wireless stylus . 88% NTSC Color gamut , 1920x1080 resolution , 15.6 inch IPS Screen , it has no parallax , no lag .
    Overall its an amazing tablet and I do suggest it! It works amazing for me, and personally, I improved a lot while using it.

The only problems, however, is that it always has to be plugged into a PC , Though it is lightweight and works great, the graphics are nice, and its only $439 :