Looking for a Cintiq Companion alternative

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Celpacius, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celpacius

Celpacius Pen Pal - Newbie

First time poster, discovered this site while doing some tablet research.. anyway, i'm looking into buying a tablet pc to replace my workstation.

I'm basically looking for a powerful enough machine, my limit is $1200. My primary software is the entirety of Adobe CC (specifically Illustrator and Indesign).

The options I've come up with are these computers:
    Lenovo Thinkpad 14
    Vaio Z Canvas

are there any other viable options around? My main thing is I'd love to own something with the least about of latency when using a pen to draw on screen. I've watched video reviews stating these two options having the least amount of latency (though i watched a video of a person running Illustrator on the Vaio Z Canvas with heavy amounts of lag).

Also, not really that important, but I'd love to run some relatively modern games.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

You don't say what role, if any, portability plays in your priorities. That would help.

If it's not a significant consideration, you might want to wait for the big Microsoft reveal, hypothetically in late October (i.e., six weeks away). Some of us suspect that we'll see a set of large screen devices that have artistic capabilities...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Celpacius

any laptop/tablet that can easily fit in a Jansport backpack is all i care about.
    and unfortunately, i kind of can't wait till October as I will be traveling in and out of multiple countries.

my main concern is how well the machine will perform with a pen/stylus for drawing in Illustrator.

thanks

4. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you specify what you mean by drawing in illustrator? Free-hand drawing or creating paths? Can't get my head around freehand drawing in IL :)

5. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been in a similar situation as yourself, check out my thread 'For heavy Adobe design use and drawing"

6. Celpacius

freehand drawing, i guess. i prefer working in vector.

7. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry it's just quite unusual, not saying it's not possible or that people don't do that but normally you wouldn't draw with a pen in illustrator. When creating vector illustrations I'd use a 'pen tool' and a mouse.

What I'm trying to say is that it is very likely that you will not use the touch & pen functionality of your laptop for work. I, too, work mainly in InDesign and Illustrator and I never use a tablet for these two, as it would make my work slower and difficult. I use it only when drawing in Photoshop.

8. Celpacius

i totally get that. my intention was to draw free hand with a pen and tablet to trace over an image over a template in illustrator. that at least would be faster, for me anyway.

i tried illustrator and drawing this way on the most powerful surface book at a microsoft store. and the drawing was amazing; very liquid smooth. unfortunately, i dont have the means to afford that hardware, so i'm looking for the best thing my $1200 can buy.

9. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

do you own a decent pc at the moment? You could get a Cintiq 13HD but in your case I'd really just recommend a Wacom Intuos Pro M if you really find drawing with a pen in Illustrator effective. I was in a very similar situation, ended up buying a good Dell XPS 15 and a Cintiq 13HD (but intuos pro would do, too). Check out my thread in 'Which tablet should I buy'.

10. Celpacius

i own a pc (which is about to die any minute) and a MBA. my MBA is my primary design machine and it's 4 years old. so i'm in need of new hardware anyway. i'm looking to cut the "middle man" out by buying a tablet pc that has multit-touch and a good digitizer (instead of buying the cintiq and still have my old hardware).

i did some research and poking around in your thread and saw the Canvas Z and the Yoga Thinkpad 14 (best buy version) as viable options.

i watched some video reviews on the drawing on the Vaio and i'm getting a mixed bag, despite it being a powerhouse. the brush use in photoshop simply lagged and i cant even find videos of it running illustrator.

as for the lenovo thinkpad 14, i can barely find any videos or written reviews of it being used as a drawing tool (not to mention the review i read stated that the pen that comes with it doesnt even have pressure sensitivity - that i'd have to buy another pen that does and use that).

i dont want to get an intuos for the simple reason that i want to be able to see and draw on the screen. my hand-eye coordination isnt that good.

many thanks for all the replies and advice, btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.