Looking for a 2-in-1 laptop with EMR for drawing.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Bunnybun, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:02 AM.

Tags:
  1. Bunnybun

Bunnybun Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! Please help me in narrowing down to which EMR laptop should I get? I don't care about if the laptop is old. All I need is that it be able to run Paint Tool Sai (a really light weight program). The other details are down below :

1. What is your budget?
    I'm not looking to get empty but about 1500-1700 USD?

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes. My first priority would be getting a refurbished or used. Not looking to get the highest latest new laptop. I can live with a used one.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    A 360 laptop will do the job. Or if there's anything like those swivel ones that'll also work. No detachables please.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

From 13.3 inches to 15.6 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

I'll buy it from Pakistan but please do name all the laptops. I may get a friend to import it from abroad if I can't find one here.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No. Any brand will do . It just needs to get the job done

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Anything above 3 hours please.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    It'll be drawing manga/character design.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows please.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Paint tool Sai and sometimes Photoshop

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    A light gaming even on low settings is appreciated. Not necessary though

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1080p and above please.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    I will rarely use it outdoors. My work will mostly be done indoors

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes please. An EMR and pressure sensitive pen.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I can work with 8 Gb Ram and a 500 Gb SSD/HDD. Expandable is appreciated.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full sized usb ports with a headphones jack. HDMI is also needed.

Thank you so much in advance!

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Take a look at the HP Zbook X2 Gen7 i7 probably available relatively locally. This is a high performance art centric tablet pc.

Another potion would be the Samsung NoteBook 9 Pro 15" 2017 model Gen7 i7 dual core, 2018 Gen8 i7 quad core 16GB RAM. Only really available in North America so probably hard to buy locally. The 2017 model runs art applications no problem. The gen8 has a slight edge especially for anything that can benefit from the additional cores. Both can manage light gaming. There is a 2019 NoteBook 9 Pen which has a restyled chassis and some hardware upgrades, mostly the addition of USB-C thunderbolt and Nvidia graphics card, as opposed to the AMD used in the older models. The 2019 models are quite expensive. A used 2018 model would probably give you the best bang for the buck.

Search the forum for threads with detailed discussions all the above.