Looking for a 2 in 1 Laptop for making professional Graphic Design art

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Swimmingfrogs, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Swimmingfrogs

Swimmingfrogs Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

<$1,500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows tablet pc/notebook convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand
    loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    ~3-5 hrs minimum when I'm not near a socket to charge.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Drawing (using PS) and multi tasking

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Illustrator, PS, InDesign. Looking to do some light 3d work eventually.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Sure.
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors?
    Yes, but not often.
    Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    No
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?

Either AES or EMR. I require a pen with tilt support, I've been spoiled by the Apple Pencil 2. I know I can't recreate that Apple experience, but I hope to have something similar to it. 4k+ sensitivity, tilt, and must not require batteries to charge.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    16 gb ram, 512 ssd

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Multiple 3.0 usb ports, must be able to be displayed by monitors, earphone/headphone jack.
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Webcam for zoom calls and high sRBG AND high Adobe rbg. Both are a must. I'll also be taking this to school so it would be nice if the computer's fans doesn't make a screaming banshee noise when it's using Adobe CC.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Looked into Microsoft Surface Pros and Dell Xps convertibles, but not sure if they are good in the long run. The c940 is one of my choices, but I'm hesitant because of lack of tilt support and jittery lines. I'm digging Acer's Concept D laptops, but they're over my budget.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, there are no Windows, 4K EMR options under $1500 (Samsung is having a massive sale on 4K OLED EMR Chromebooks though :)).

For 4K AES, you could look at the current Lenovo Flex 5 15" (pen not included) and Yoga C930 13.9" (AES 2.0), which both come it at just under $1500 (and maybe cheaper with Black Friday coming up ;)).

*EDIT: Looks like the Flex 5 15" might be AES 1.0 according to this post (conflicting info from Lenovo).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    JoeS likes this.