Looking at tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barry J. Doyle, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daring

Daring Moderator

Actually I agree with kingjimmi in principle. A tablet pc is no more the perfect tool for every computing need any more than a hammer is the perfect tool for every household fix it up job.

I also agree with him on the cost. While the OS and digitizer do account for increased cost (if Microsoft were really as committed to this form factor as they say they could lower the OS cost to the same as XP Home), they by no means account for the cost difference. Barry's comment is spot on, right now these machines fill niche needs and competition is small why would they sell them for less?

That having been said, I don't work in any of the vertical markets kingjimmi describes however I do confess I got one as a novelty. The above notwithstanding, unless the market completely evaporates, I won't go back. There are several things that are just easier in the pen/paper metaphor that are not easily duplicated on a keyboard or mouse (document mark up comes to mind). I would recommend that kingjimmi spend some time with one really using it if possible, before he dismisses it. As my parents used to remind me, "Try it, you might like it..." ;)

2. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

On the contrary. I think tablets are great. Eventually I see convertible laptops as the standard form factor for laptops . . .

The key word here is eventually. The economics of scale that Barry mentions is the major problem at the minute.

Right now, I have yet to meet a person that has used a tablet say that they suck and that they could see no application for them in their daily lives. But are the benefits that normal users like this gonna see from a tablet warrant the huge premiums? I think not.

[edited by abaxter]

Initially, what led me to this site was my interest in tablet pcs. I used one and was intrigued. The idea is not exactly new, but to me it looked like they had finally gotten the software right. So, obviously being intrigued I set about looking for the right tablet pc for me. The conclusion I came too was that there is no right tablet for me yet and this has made me into the hater Poetdante proclaims me as. Yes, I'm a hater cause it's a terrific technology that is overpriced.

For me, I'd want a desktop replacement style tablet. Something with cutting edge performance, but with a tablet interface. They don't make that yet. What they do make is the toshiba M4. That is the tablet pc world's idea of bleeding edge tech in a tablet. Well sorry if that makes me laugh Dante. Paying around $2400 dollars for a tricked out tablet PC, supposedly the most advanced atm, which is pretty much the same technology as what you'd get from a $1500 laptop? Heck, you could probably get that amount of computing power from a $1300 lappie. Well, that to me is unacceptable.

I hope this post clears up where I'm coming from. Do I hate tablets: NO. Am I complaining: YES. Why am I here: Where else do you complain about tablet pc's cept in a tablet pc forum. Also, you might want to look at my complaints Dante. Cause if you truly care so much about the Tablet PC's future the steps taken in regard to what I say will mean a great deal. Sure, there might always be a fringe that uses tablet pc's, but they will never become mainstream until the price becomes more palatable.

In defense of the Gateway and the Acer tablets ... well they're the future of tablets. They actually bring the performance of regular laptops w/ the added tablet functionality for somewhere near that magic $100 premium I was talking about. Now if only they would hurry up and make a bleeding edge DTR tablet with only a $100 premium, hell I'd pay a $200 premium even considering I want the latest and greatest and I agree that should come at a price.

3. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

well, that's a shame things got too heated and personal. Opinions have been aired and there's good information been discussed here, but let's close this thread now.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

kingjimmy, you have some valid points in your post. I appreciate the extent to which this conversation (regarding tablet hardware) is being continued and your helpful opinions associated with that.

In response to the complaints about Dante and our forums, there is one thing I would like to keep in perspective here. We believe in fostering an open environment in our forums on this site. We enjoy giving people of various ages, backgrounds, etc. the opportunity to contribute and express themselves freely. Do we "police" the forums and strike posts? Well sometimes, but not because a user is excited about a certain product. Dante has contributed to several posts helping users here and there with valid information and for that we greatly value him as a member.

Just as I have discussed here, I will leave your post to provide you the opportunity express your feelings as well. IMO, though, the comments directed at Dante are a bit harsh and I have no desire to see him go "somewhere else" OR stop posting his thoughts freely.

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.