Looking at tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barry J. Doyle, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

The Gateway has a 14" widescreen w/ an aspect ratio of 16:9, the M4 has a 14.1" 4:3 screen. I'm pretty sure the Gateway screen is physically larger than the M4, but is lacking the resolution.

Better graphics: yeah, the M4 with the 6600 has it all over the Gateway. The 6200 version is closer to the Gateway w/ the x600 performance wise.

Weight? Neither one of these tablets are light and will most likely be tethered to an AC outlet, especially the M4 w/ a 6600. Which means you probably won't be holding it in your arm all that often. But yes, the M4 weighs less.

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the gateway is 14" diagonally just like the m4. the problem is that it is narrower than the m4. As for the weight the M4 is about 6lb while the Gateway is, what, 7lb. that 1lb makes a lot of difference. and the r15 is even about 5lb. My r15 can go for 3hr+ running at full power (highest resolution, internet, etc).

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

Just to clarify, here are some stats from PCMAG

Tablet Weight Battery
    Toshiba M4 6.4 lbs 2.5 hours
    Toshiba R15 6.1 lbs 3.0 hours
    Gateway CX200 6.9 lbs 4.5 hours
    HP TC4200 4.6 lbs 4.5 hours

I threw the 4200 in there although if you need portability the Fujitsu T4020 may be a better choice, as it has a built in DVD drive, however I've had no experience with it whereas I own a 4200.

It really comes down to what is important to you. If your budget is most important you have to eliminate the M4. If maxed out performance at any cost then get the M4. The Gateway is a great compromise machine, but at nearly 7 lbs it is more of a luggable and holding it in your arm for any length of time is out of the question. I own the 4200 and even that after 30-60 minutes gets to the point of needing to set it down (my opinion, anything over 5 lbs is too heavy to use for any more then a few minutes holding in your arm).

I have held all of the above tablets as well as an Acer with a 14" screen. I would classify them as notebooks with tablet functionality. Their strength is notebook first, tablet second. If that is how you will be using them then these are good choices. The HP, IBM, & Fujitsu strength is tablet first, notebook second, you compromise things like built in DVD & screen size for weight and battery life.

poetdante loves his R15, however it doesn't suit my needs well. I love my HP 4200. Others love their Acers, IBMs, Fujitsu, etc. Pick the one that suits YOUR needs, you'll be happy too.

4. poetdante

good advice. funny though, the r15 does not feel 6lb

5. Gregdrose

Gregdrose Pen Pal - Newbie

If I am not an artist will Gateway's pen make that much of a difference to me? I am only going to use the tablet to write on and you do get more bang for the buck with Gateway as opposed to Toshiba. Why is the Toshiba worth the extra money (M4)?

6. poetdante

I say quality. but mostly it is the extra vid memory and stuff

7. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

Why is any tablet more money than any laptop? I'd say the screen and the hinge design are the only things different between a regular laptop and a tablet. That being said, the M4 screen is the nicest available atm, hence the price premium.

While on the topic of money, wtf is up with the premium for a tablet? There is no way a tablet is worth the ~$800-1000 more compared to a comparably equipped laptop. Unless you really need the tablet functionality (you do inventory tracking, are a doctor, or one of the other vertical markets that use tablets) a tablet is just an overexpensive toy.

Let's assume you could still buy a M4 w/ the 6600. That would cost about ~$2200. You could get a similiarly configured laptop for less than $1500.

8. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The touchscreen technology and Wacom technologies found in most Tablets is a factor for the increased price. Additionally, The Tablet PC OS is identical to Windows XP Pro which is roughly $100 more on any laptap. Finally, there is a supply vs. demand issue - tablets are a specialty and newer technology. There just aren't as many models to compete, so therefore prices can stay higher.

9. themulf

themulf Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply, yeah I my a little torn. Ill have to think it out more. Thanks.

10. poetdante

1. What are you doing here in a tablet pc forum.
    2. Some people want the ability to write. Like you said, the screen.
    3. Go complain somewhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.