Look how far Atom powered tablets have come in 2 short years (video)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well I don't have MS employee numbers but I do have biz card for the CTO of N-Trig. I hope he's still part of the company...

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I use the Radial Menu. I put several hrs on testing this thing for the developer on all the machines I own. He is a member of this site and was very active during the development of the software. Here is the tool thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/radialmenu-toolbar-0-4-6-326.64232/

I'm not sure if he wanted to eventually charge for this thing. I did donated him some lunch money, but I suppose he saw not so much interest from the community and suddenly quit. We haven't seen him since the beginning of the year and haven't responded to many queries made by other members in the last few posts in that thread.

Overall, the tool is almost there and functionality is off the charts. Specially Pen+finger feature regardless of hardware, pen tech, or operating system make it a one of kind tool.

Azzart likes this.
  3. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Great video. I just bought a Surface 3 after owning an Ativ 500T for a couple years. The performance difference is night and day. Not sure if anyone else has ever run into this: my only issue so far w/ the pen is that in Artrage 3.5, there seems to be a slight lag when hatching so that my lines don't quite start where I want (both when turning on and off Wintab). I think it's an N-Trig thing and not a performance issue because my Ativ w/ Wacom EMR did not have this problem. Not the end of the world because I can still use Manga Studio where it works perfectly.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks for the video, Shog!

That was fun and informative.

-I was using Photoshop on the original Atom back when I had one of those Asus eee netbooks. (Using a little Wacom plug-in tablet). It worked fine, but I sure wasn't sketching. Just doing selection and fill stuff. It was a real savior a couple of times when I was out on the road and needed to adjust stuff away from the studio rig.

I've always liked the Atom as a concept; low power consumption. It's great to see it getting to the point of being able to use on modern tablets for hassle-free drawing.

That N-Trig stylus looks pretty good, but I still can't help but feel like it's a step back from Wacom's EMR. The stroke lag is just a fixed 'feature'. It looks about the same on your video as it does whenever I try it out in a store. It just makes the whole experience feel muddy. The stroke is never happening under the cursor, which I suppose is never the case even with the best gear, but on that Surface machine the waaaay behind delay is enough to annoy me. People obviously get used to it, but it doesn't seem like we should have to. I'm used to the much, much lower delay on my ancient Penabled gear, (when the brush size is low).

For quick undo, I use lblb's button bar. -It's easy to design it the way you like, it's unobtrusive and you can put it wherever your hand naturally wants to go to tap undo (rather than that hopeless placement in CSP. *What* were they thinking?? You can't even detach it and put it on the toolbar. That's idiotic. Pretty much everything about the CSP/MS5 gui is a design catastrophe, imho. Every few months I go back to give it another shot and after an hour or two, give up in frustration and go back to Photoshop for layouts).

I wouldn't care so much if it didn't have the best brush engine available today. If it weren't for that, I could happily ignore CSP/MS5 altogether. (Paint Tool SAI was great too, but it's essentially abandonware now).
    Anyway, thanks for the video. That was a good watch!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Azzart likes this.