Look how far Atom powered tablets have come in 2 short years (video)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A bit long and rambling, but I threw in some bonus sketching at the end. Enjoy.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Have you played with RadialMenu? I use it for my OneNote shortcuts, and it also lets you remap the buttons. It is less stable compared to Wacoms driver solution, but it works acceptably well (for my purposes at least).

3. Shogmaster

Oooohhh... I didn't know about this thing. Will give it a try. Thanks!

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

it works so well I use it on both the sp3 and cintiq companion even if the latter has it's own built in radial menu. ;)

5. Shogmaster

Damn it.. It refuses to map the button 2 on the pen. I have button 1 mapped and working but no matter what I do the button 2 defaults to the eraser. :(

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Strange: mine on the sp3 are mapped one to right click (hovering right click!) and the other to invoke the radial menu.
    I did notice though that different versions of radial menu give me different results in terms of reliability. (mine is 0.4.5.318 on the surface and a less recent on the companion)

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey Shog, thanks for the video. I've never tried Atom powered tablets running windows before. It was cool to see an artist using one effectively. Got a few questions:

-What would the advantage be to using Surface 3 vs. Surface Pro 3? Is there any besides price?

-I noticed the Ntrig vectored your wide circles pretty bad when you were doing the wide circle test with large canvas. Thing is I have noticed Ntrig do it on a Duo 13 as well and even when I am just trying to sketch quick smooth arcs with broad strokes. Although the weaker Dell system with Wacom lagged hardcore, it did preserve a nice curve and didn't wreck your circles like the Ntrig did. I think that is one thing I still like about Wacom, is that typically what you do with your hand happens on screen, whereas with Ntrig I feel it often doesn't always prioritize the stroke accuracy over performance? If that makes sense. It didn't seem to be an issue when you drew the car or raptor, so perhaps its been improved enough to not be a real world issue anymore.

-If drawing on the T902 is the standard in a test (10 out of 10) how would drawing on the Surface score in contrast?

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@stoneseeker, in my tests, I find that vectoring of circles seems to have more to do with software and drivers than hardware. I can have terrible results in one app and perfect circles in another.

I really see no advantage in the S3 vs SP3 besides price. Perhaps some might like the smaller display. But for most I'd recommend the i3 SP3.

I don't have the Fujitsu but if the Companion 2 is a 10, I'd estimate that N-Trig is a 7 and AES is an 8.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

9. Shogmaster

Let me present a hypothesis about the circle issue on the N-Trig: Lower polling rate.

To construct a circle with bunch of point, more points you have, a better circle you will get. That is obvious.

Thus, faster I drew the circle, due to the fixed polling rate of the pen, I was lowering the amount of points that the circle was constructed from. If the circle was drawn in a full second, it would be constructed with 120 points. If I draw in half that time, 60 points. That's still plenty of dots. But I think my circles were more like .25 seconds or even less. Now you are talking 30 or less points for entire circle. On a 5000x3000 canvas, that's not a lot.

I suspect that my circle speed was breaching that minimum amount needed on the N-Trig's 120Hz polling rate. Maybe for Wacom's additional 13Hz made a difference. Maybe the 120Hz figure I have for N-Trig is wrong and it's much less. Maybe it's only 100Hz. I will have to write to N-Trig and get the official number.

As for advantage of S3 over SP3, other than the price, it's only about more portable size and lighter weight. If neither of are an issue for you, definitely go with SP3.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think you mean MS now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.