London event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not to mention AMOLED displays and siloed pens.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Tell me the battery life of this tablet with a quad-core Core i7 and a discrete GPU. Unlike the Surface Pro, there is still zero information on that to be found. However, doing some fuzzy math and using some common sense, you can almost guarantee that a tablet with those kind of specs (just due to the sheer power draw of a quad core CPU and a discrete GPU combined) will probably have half the battery life (at best) of a Surface Pro. And like you said, it doesn’t have LTE so that is another cost deterrent so there’s that. On the whole, until we see bonafide results, no matter how brilliant in concept it is, the Acer Switch 7 is an incredible looking paperweight. I sure would not fancy lugging around a power adapter everywhere just because this has EMR and other killer specs. I might as well get a gaming laptop and a drawing tablet at that point. In summary, we are know the Surface Pro inside and out, but the Acer Switch 7 is a radically new concept that could end up being an epic failure.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    soh5 likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

True, except we are talking about ARM processors which, with the sole exception of Apple (which is also actually a ways away in real world performance in an accurate benchmark like TabletMark), have yet to come even close to a Intel Core laptop in raw performance. And the only silo’ed cell phone is the Galaxy Note series which lacks basic things like ports, usable display area and an efficient keyboard. That is, unless you rig something together costing quite a bit more than even a premium gaming laptop.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Processor is true enough (for now).....but regarding ports and keyboard.....well the Note 8 has 1 USB-C port, Micro-SD, and a headphone jack. That basically puts it in the same port class as my Galaxy Book 10.6 and even the Mobile Studio Pro to a degree. And with Apples still stranglehold over market trends...in another 5 or 10 years.....we may not even have Ports anymore......charging, data, etc.....everything will be wireless. And while the predictive typing crap on my Note 5 has been annoying the heck out of me for a while now....I do find the android pop up keyboard way more useful then the default windows 10 TIP you'd have to use with the MSP or any tablet purchased without a keyboard like the Surface Pro.

The usable display size is a necessary evil granted its still a phone, but with phablets now becoming the one device to rule them all.....once they can seriously amp up the CPU/GPU Performance beyond impressive single core benchmarks....Our cellphones eventually will be our laptops.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

+1

@sonichedgehog360

I too suspect the battery life may be the acer's Achilles heel.

6. Bergman

Bergman Pen Pal - Newbie

Goodness I came to this thread looking for a discussion about the upcoming event and I cant believe some of the comments here. Very uninformed honestly. You can like/not like Microsoft all day long but as a long time Microsoft partner I can say without a doubt that the current leadership is light years better than what they had. Ballmer was a huge mistake as a leader and his time there was a huge step back for the company.

Satya is doing a very good job of transitioning a huge ship which is very hard to turn on a dime. While there are still some things I don't like and things that drive me crazy, he is doing a fantastic job there and the partner community and my customers are very happy. Stock is doing great, and they are way in front of Apple right now in innovation.

convergent and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

My thoughts, exactly.

8. sonichedgehog360

Some clarification on the tech media’s misinformed predication of the Surface Pro LTE’s pricing. They are dead wrong. The EU and U.K. charge a mint on tech products. They should have checked the other listings for a feel of just how pricey everything tech-wise costs. At the very same website, had they dug just a teeny bit deeper, they would have seen that the non-LTE i5 256 GB Surface Pro sells for 1024.99 GBP before VAT, which comes to about 1391.08 USD.
    http://www.misco.co.uk/brand-shop/microsoft/surface/surface-devices#tab-1-newSurfacePro?collapseA32A

Doing the math, I am expecting at most a $150 to $200 premium for the 256 GB i5 LTE model, or around $1450 to $1500, not this nutty $1600 price.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Fight fair Sonic...a DEX dock is a whole $149; USB or bluetooth keyboard and mouse; add a monitor. Not saying it will match a real desktop, but with a Galaxy Note 8 its pretty serviceable according to reviews I've read. Actually it looks like it outperforms Google Chromebooks, not a small accomplishment for a micro-computer measuring 162.5 x 74.8 x 8.6 mm.

I'm really not here to pick a fight...

Well, not too much at least - I hope Surface Pro LTE is everything you need (and are hoping for) - I'm just railing against under-spec'd Windows devices - there's just no excuse for that in this day and age.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

OK. Let’s fight fair. > : )

$150 DEX Dock
    $50-$100 USB/Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
    $200 Portable HDMI monitor

Total: $400-$450 above the base cost of the phone.

tl;dr Nearly half of the cost of the phone itself just to make it a passable, makeshift laptop/2-in-1. Not worth it in my humble opinion but your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017