London event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Wonder if Panos' magicians can squeeze Thunderbolt 3 out of that dongle...>>

...Sure! Just add a second cord for AC and plug it into a wall socket...!

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Here's another possible of something to look out for. Now this would certainly put a damper on the iPhone 8/X, which reportedly had omitted this technology due to technical difficulties.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not to worry - that will come in iPhone Xs (no longer pronounce "10" but "excess") when Phil Schiller tells us that as a result of popular demand, Apple has decided to provide "another" means of security by bringing under screen authentication called "Finger ID" - and I'll leave the suggested digit to your collective imaginations.

sonichedgehog360 and Azzart like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That would guarantee a return of skirts for women. In cities where you walk a lot, New York for example, everybody would be 30 minutes late for work due to women having to unlock their iPhone X.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Here are Thurrott's predictions of what's next in Surface from Microsoft:
    Source:
    https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/135255/thinking-new-surface-devices

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Between '10' and the lack of meaningful new physical products, I'd say the 2 worst things to happen to MS are the death of Steve Jobs (incentive to do right) and the retirement of Steve Ballmer (honest "I'm stupid so you should expect little"). Panos is making Ballmer seem like a useful idiot. At least he was useful...

I'm learning command line BS cuz Linux is what is left.

The tablet PC dream keeps dying on the vine.

7. dstrauss

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know the financial sector is thrilled with Nadella, but I see him as being super-focused on the short term at the expense of long term growth. I'd be hard-pressed to name any major changes he has made that actually benefit consumers. Windows is less stable than ever, they (supposedly) cut the hardware team so much that it took them longer to refresh the Surface Pro, Skype is (still) a mess to the point where it's lost pretty much any goodwill it ever had, Xbox is far behind PS4, mobile is gone, HoloLens looks to be quickly getting surpassed by ARkit (I know it's not the same and that a 'visor' is more capable in some ways, but mindshare matters too), etc.

And a lot of the good things (again, for consumers) that came to fruition in Nadella's term were from projects started by Ballmer. Practically all that Nadella's really done to make an impact was lay people off.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Bronsky likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Exhibit 1 to @jhoff80's indictment - the "base" model has 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD in a Core i5 device - and I thought Samsung cheaped out on the GB10...