London event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Do we have a new member in the Surface family gestating?

From the Verge:

Microsoft’s Surface chief will hold a keynote speech in London at the end of October. The software giant is holding its annual Future Decoded event in London from October 31st to November 1st, and Microsoft revealed to The Verge today that Panos Panay will be speaking. Microsoft typically launches new Surface devices in October, and sources familiar with the company’s plans tell us to expect at least one new device at the event.

2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Was invited to the New York event last year, but did not get anything this time.....and no way to get to London either:(

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Swim?

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I expect Windows on ARM to be on full display. Qualcomm has been making their rounds with it over the summer. I just got word from an intern and college classmate about it still being very much a thing and on track for the end of this year. Here is a more recent video demo (from June) of a Qualcomm WOA device in action. As dstrauss points out below, the rep is extremely candid and realistic about performance and utility:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    thatcomicsguy, Tams and JoeS like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Is there any live streaming?

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'd guess Surface ARM and maybe a Book refresh... but who knows. I'm always wrong when I make guesses. :D

darkmagistric likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If we only get one device....I think we'll most likely get a proper Refreshed and redesigned Surface Book 2 (one that closes flat).

If they have a 2nd device to debut.....A Surface (Non Pro) 4 running off ARM I think would be the next likely.

While a refreshed Surface Studio would also be overdue.....given the really high entry price point of the Studio.....I can see Microsoft holding off on an update since the earlier they put out an update, the more I can see that pissing off early adopters. Its not really priced for the regular refresh market. Unless they offer some trade in....or a Base exchange.....if that's even possible....but that wouldn't be very likely.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of the Surface Pro 6 actually debuting. There was only a 7-8 month time gap between the Surface Pro 2 and the Pro 3.........the nSP debuted in May.....if they unveil the Pro 6 at the end of October for a December release......that would be roughly the same time gap. And given how the nSP was more of a minor refresh.......a full proper redesign with USB/C Thunderbolt could very much be in the cards.

And if its a Book 2 and/or Pro 6.....almost certainly they would have the 8th Gen Intel Quad Cores with Discrete Graphics.....probably the same or very similar internals being used in that EMR based Acer Switch tablet coming out in December. Or they might experiment with AMD....but my money would be with Microsoft sticking with Intel.

Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. Kumabjorn

I haven't seen any announcements or reporting from this. Was it cancelled?

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I found the spokesman for QC to be honestly candid and tamped down extreme optimism - "You wouldn't want to use these machines as production Photoshop - keep to in field photo editing"

VERY IMPRESSIVE demo.

JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Where did you find it?