Lojack

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Concentrate, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

I want to install a program for tracing my laptop if it ever gets stolen. I see that the 2740p is compatible with lojack and even has drivers/program for it for free. When I check the lojack website, I see that it is subscription based.

My question is for those who do have lojack installed, is it the full version and is it working as it should, or is it a half-baked version?

I'm deciding between using lojack or prey.

2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

I should rephrase my question. What I meant to ask was if the lojack software that HP provides LINK HERE, is the full version that will run for an unlimited amount of time or is just a trial or something.

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I've looked into it before and the software is free but the service you will need to pay for.

I have the pre-boot security which will not log you into windows until you have logged in...Hmm...I wonder if they replace the HDD, will they still be able to use the computer?

5. Stan S.

HP offers Lojack with some accidental drop and spills warranties. ex: HP 2-year Care Pack Accidental Damage Protection Service with LoJack for Laptops | HP® Official Store You should have a reg code either in the materials that came with the unit or via email when you register the unit.

If you are covered with one of these policies, then it is already paid for and would work with your HP registration, AFAIK. I'm not aware of any 'trial' or try/buy LoJack offers.

What you linked to requires HP Security Tools which is part of a business package to manage multiple computer assets in an secure environment. I suppose that it could be a single computer if the HP Management Tools were installed. The security tools allow you to have a trusted and secure unit using smartcards and other standard methods to access the laptop and networked systems. HP Security tools can also do things like disable USB functions so that keyboards and mice work, but not USB thumbdrives as well as manage BIOS updates on units across the network.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use that as well on my 2730p, it is great because it is actually a hardware lock (it is tied to the bios some way, but only works after POST -so it basically stops any chance of any boot up/ editing bios after the compute passes POST)

so if your computer were stolen, they would be totally locked out (though that wouldn't stop someone from either selling it as is, or as spare parts)

you can also put a password/ encrypt on the hdd/ ssd, but it is a little complex from what I know of it

as for lojack,I think Steve S. is dead on with his info

7. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a trade off you need to consider for mobile computing security.
    The main question you need to ask yourself is which is more important, securing the data on the device, or the device itself.

If you keep sensative information on the PC, sensative client info, NDA-esque info, or anything that can easily lead to identity theft... You might want to consider the TMP-chip and drive-lock security. Emphasis here is on encrypting the data and preventing unauthorized access. The problem is, it also severely limits your ability to recover the device if stolen. If someone can't get the tablet to boot up, then the recovery and tracking software won't function.

Of course, if you aren't keeping any sensative data on the computer, and the device itself is of more value to you than the exposure of any of the data on it, Lojack is definity the way to go. But remember, the software will work best when there are fewer barriers to the theif getting online and being able to play with it.

Like I said, a trade off. The more you want to be able to recover the device, the less safe your data is going to be. And the more secure you want your data to be, the less likely you'll ever see the device again if it is stolen.

8. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I've done a bit more reading and they said that even if the HDD is replaced, because hp has pre-installed the lojack program in the BIOS, it will self-heal even if the harddrive is replaced. I need to know if the pre-boot security will be removed as well because then installing lojack will work.

I originally thought that if I installed lojack and they couldn't get on, they it would be useless, but if they install a new harddrive, then they could probably boot IF pre-boot doesn't stop them and lojack is removed.

What do you guys think?

9. Stan S.

Lojack when in the bios, will survive pass a disk format and hard drive change. As Incitatus has indicated, to work, Lojack needs internet access. To remotely wipe the drive (if that's your intent) it needs to be able to connect to the web to get the order. If they can't logon to the box it's a problem.

Lojack says that in one instance, the stolen laptop was used to clone hard drives and all the cloned drives were also traced when put into a new computer leading to breakup of a counterfeit ring.

I have replaced drives in lojack bios enabled computers and it survives the change.

All computers have several BIOS level security items that can be enabled without Lojack. BIOS password or supervisor passwords (sometimes both) can be required for boot and/or change to the BIOS itself. This can be bypassed by removing backup battery for a while (3 days or more), jump some pins, calling MFGR (Dell) and giving enough proof of identity that they can generate a new password or replacing motherboard (IBM/Lenovo). In addition, there are Windows versions that support encryption/secure platform and require a smartcard or SD cards or USB sticks to validate booting. Removing the HDD defeats this (unless the drive is encrypted) and the files can be easily read.