Little Windows 10 EMR tablets

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Art_N00b, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

The short: What are the smallest Win 10 EMR (eg Wacom-based) tablets being sold?

1. What is your budget?
    Not constraining.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Prefer new, but would consider used/refurb.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Win 10 is first preference. Android is second.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    I'm curious about the smaller end of Win 10 EMR tablets. Say under 13". Also, how low do they go?

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Thumbs down on Lenovo for their malware incidents. https://www.google.com/search?q=lenovo+malware

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Not picky.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Sketching. Save sketches to file system / Dropbox.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Win 10. But would consider Android if it met other criteria (Wacom, small, Dropbox)

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Clip Studio Paint, Leonardo, Mischief
    Chrome

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Possibly, but not important.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nope.

Screen Specifics
    1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Nope.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Not outdoors. Home and coffee shops.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Wacom-based pen tech with pressure sensitivity. No AES or N-trig.

Component Specifics
    1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Not picky. Smaller machines often have smaller specs which is understandable.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Not important. Wi-fi and cloud syncing will be the communications medium.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    While I prefer Win 10, if there isn't a good fit, but there is a sub-13" EMR Android tablet--and the Android drawing apps can save to Dropbox preferably in a fairly normal format (clip studio, photoshop, tiff, etc.)--I would give that consideration.

EDIT: I should add that "lighter is better"; I'm looking for something nimble. Bulky and clunky are out.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have both an Asus Vivotab Note 8 (8" screen) and the Cube Book I7 (10.6" screen). Ever since I got the Cube about a year ago, I haven't touched the Asus.

Some things I like about the Cube...
    It's pretty much the same form factor as the Surface 1 and 2, I believe they use the same digitizer, so you get Wacom EMR. All my collection of pens work on it, each with different offsets, but I find the Noris Staedtler is my favorite on it. I feel the inking and drawing is on par with what I find with my Samsung phones.

Physically, it's pretty lightweight at 1.5 lbs, with a 3/4" bezel around to hold on to while inking. At 10.6", screen space is tight, but I tend to draw with my hand rather than my arm, so it's acceptable to me. Another thing I like is, you can charge it via USB-C... so I have a 45W USB-C power adapter that can charge both my phone and the tablet, so it's one less clunky item to carry around with you.

The skylake processor is okay, I can get by with Sketchbook and Clip Studio, but over a dozen layers or when using a complex brush, you can start to perceive a lag. I get about 4.5 hours on battery when I draw. There's a newer version called the Mix Plus that has a better CPU, but it reportedly gets very hot unless you start doing thermal mods yourself.

Some other cons, I think the USB-C port isn't very robust or tight. So using a hub, you can easily lose HDMI output if you wiggle the plug. Also, the power button requires about a 7 second press to activate. I understand that they did that to prevent accidental startups, but 7 seconds seems excessive.

I think one of the best things about this tablet is the cost. The tablets sell for around 300 to 400 dollars, and every now and then you can catch a good sale. Cube, or "Alldocube" as they are known now, isn't well known, so the secondary market isn't good at all if you're trying to sell. On the flip side, you can get one on Ebay for what I estimate to be around 40% of the original value. I got mine for under $200, and last week a Mix Plus got sold for under $200. It's at a pricepoint where I can toss it into a backpack without care, and won't be devastated if it ever broke or got stolen.

If you don't get the keyboard with it, I would recommend getting the original folding case, it's very thin so it's adds very little bulk and it can prop it up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Marty, WillAdams and Art_N00b like this.
  3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Galaxy book 10 could be a good option.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    WillAdams and Art_N00b like this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would have snagged the Galaxy Book 10.6 by now if it didn't have s*itty eMMC storage. Not even a damn UFS one...

bloodycape likes this.
  5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I ordered the Galaxy Book 10" which was easier to get than the Cube Book.

I reconsidered both Android and iOS, but couldn't get confirmation from anywhere that any art app for them could work seamlessly out of Dropbox. They all require a manual export operation which is a lot of overhead to do that once per file. Or I could skip that but have my files split up into multiple places. No thanks.

I also noticed that many of the Samsung tablet products I looked at were released in the Feb - April timeframe. We might see a refresh in the next few months though obviously I didn't personally feel like waiting.