Little Secret: ASUS NB Probe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Tsukiyomi, Oct 23, 2006.

1. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe it's just me, but one program not pre-installed on the system is the ASUS NB Probe. It is a brilliant little program that gives you those fascinating system information like the temperature of your hard drive and CPU, how fast the cooling fan is spinning in RPM, and what chances you have with the pretty girl across the table (via a fascinating technology called "Walk Up to Her and Talk To Her, Stupid").

If you don't have NB Probe pre-installed, it's in the Recovery DVD that comes in the pack.

2. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Which one of these recovery cds is it on? I could not find it on the one marked driver and utility ver 1.0 or on the one labelled recovery dvd-rom.

The recovery dvd rom just contains some ghost image and wouldn't let me install any from it, the other just shows a bunch of hotfixes.

3. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

Of course, sorry I forgot, it's in the Recovery DVD-ROM which only unpacks if you reinstall the operating system. Try Google it maybe if you don't want to reinstall?

4. Tsukiyomi

Edit: Just after writing this post, I find the file on the Asus support site under downloads. Turns out, the default page does not list all the downloads and you must get it from the "Utilities" page...I swear it wasn't there yesterday.

Ahhh, I see, maybe I can unpack this ghost image and find it somewhere inside. Google tells me that it will be installed in C:\Program Files\Asus\Asus NB Probe\

5. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Asus probe is a sweet little problem and has gotten very good over the years. However, if anyone is thinking about downloading NHC (notebook hardware control), I'd suggest uninstalling that and power4gear as that replaced both of them........ it depends on what you like - I always hate NHC until a few months ago when an upgrade made it work well on the newest systems.....

You can't just download asus probe from anywhere on Asus' site because there's a different one for basically every notebook........ it's really every notebook chipset, but you can't just find one and download it or you'll probably run into problems.

6. Tsukiyomi

Justin is right, for the R1 version of NB probe, I can't really adjust any of the settings on my tablet, but NHC works just fine for adjusting CPU speed etc. What I can't find however, is a way to adjust my fan speed, say for instance, my tablet is heating up from being on for a long time, I want to run the fan at high power for a few minutes to cool it down, then set it back to normal again.

A situation like that would be like after being in class, I want to pick up my tablet and move it, but its spitting relatively hot air out at me, I want to cool it down so I can pick it up and talk to the TA or the Prof and take notes at the same time.