Little help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by tomtheweirdguy, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscarlucy

oscarlucy Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all, iam about a couple days out from ordering the C-140 XL. (waiting for my hefty holiday bonus this week :) )

However, as with most consumer electronics that cost a lot of money i decided to make sure that this tablet laptop was going to do everything that i needed as a student and also be problem-free. Thanks goodness i stumbled onto this forum, or i never would have even known about the overheating issues of the C-140's.

So, based on the 27-page front page thread on overheating, is it STILL a problem, as of this month, December 2007? I have been looking forward to buying the C-140 XL model with the ATI graphics card, and have noticed that a lot of people with the ATI card seem to be having the most overheating problems. Would you guys here say that overheating is still an issue, and that i should stay away from the ATI card because perhaps it's the main culprit? Should i look to buy another tablet?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as iam about to plunk down over 1k for this baby in the next 2-3 days! :confused:

2. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the ATI card seems to be the culprit, but I wouldn't change it myself. Mines only blue screened once, and I've only had to blow through the fan a few times to start it. Now it's been a couple of months since it's done that. CoreTempBeta is a free download that displays your core temps in the task bar.

So, all in all, I love this machine, and the overheating hasn't been more than an occassional nuisance. I have heard that others have been having more chronic problems, though. I've had mine for about 4 months now.

If you are worried, go with integrated graphics.

SOMEday, however, I'm sure a software patch will be released to fix this.

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

remember, its only an issue when it happens to you. You don't have the unit, so you don't know if it will be an issue or not.

4. jrorion5

jrorion5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have one of the pre-configured c-140xl's. So far the fan works great, goes on and off as needed. It is REALLY quiet, so I am constantly feeling for the exhaust. I have done some light gaming, but mostly office type applications and some light photo editing.

Hopefully, it was something that was fixed.

5. oscarlucy

I understand what you're saying and appreciate the reply, but the main objective here is to AVOID possibly having the issue in the first place by getting some opinions. Obviously i can't comment on what i don't possess, which is why i was asking for feedback. A thousand dollars is a lot of money to spend on something that might certainly cause problems down the road that could easily have been avoided by reacting to some feedback.

Seeing as how there's a 27-page overheating thread with almost 40% of the poll voters having overheating problems, it's of course going to cause a concern for potential buyers, and hence my concern. I was looking forward to buying this, and still am very much so, but i just wanted feedback from those who might have purchased one in the last month or two to see if the overheating problem is still ongoing or if perhaps it was resolved. Thanks for the feedback though.

6. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to say, if you do have problems, go with the NoteBook Hardware Control. I think it was like $20. It has protection and warning features for overheating, unlike the freebee, which only displays temps. If it starts to get too hot, a fairly large balloon pops up from the taskbar, accompanied by an alarm. Pick the c140 up, blow through the fan, no more problems for a while.

7. oscarlucy

Thanks Neo, suggestion noted.

8. icefreez

icefreez Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my Pre-configured C-140XL for a while now and do gaming on it every day over my lunch break for an hour. I also do web browsing and other mild use applications at home. I have not experienced any sort of overheating or sluggish performance whatsoever.

9. oscarlucy

Thanks icefreez for the feedback :)

10. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my customized C-140x since late July, and it had the overheat problem once, although it still didn't shutdown/BSOD. My fan had stopped running while I was asleep, and the computer was running a distributed computing program (folding@home) which was running one core at 100%. Fortunately Windows switches back and forth between cores, using them fairly equally, otherwise it would have reached a more critical temperature. When I discovered the problem, the temperature readout (from PC Wizard) was about 196 degrees fahrenheit. I just restarted it and the fan came back on.

I haven't had any problems of that nature since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.