List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toad

Toad Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering about this too. The first wave of reviews for BayTrail and Haswell-Y machines seem to show quite a bit of difference still. A particularly relevant real-life benchmark for my use case is LaptopMag´s length of time it takes to perform a complex VLOOKUP operation on 20,000 rows in OpenOffice Calc. (Links below.) The Sony VAIO Tap 11 (Core i5-4210Y) performed this task in 7:08 and the ASUS Transformer Book T100 (Atom Z3740) in 20:48. That´s a significant gap. By comparison, the Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus (Core i5-4200U) did this in 5:13. Both the Tap 11 and the Dell XPS 11 also come with a more powerful Y processor as an option, so I´m hoping that further closes the gap with the i5-4200U.

Sony VAIO Tap 11 Review | Tablet Reviews
    ASUS Transformer Book T100 Review | Tablet Review
    Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus Review - Haswell - LAPTOP Magazine

2. DragonGamer

DragonGamer Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, according to some standard benchmarks the i7 Y are about to get close to the i5 U.. and that makes it quite expensive...

3. truvativ

truvativ Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Out of curiosity I was checking out the Tap 11 on Sony's site and it turns out the Pentium model is the only non-configurable model available(though it seems like pen is standard even at the base price on this device). Is there like a technical reason why Pentium devices are not coming with more than a 128gb of HDD space, because the Venue 11 in the Pentium variant is also limited to 128gb.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Fujitsu Launches New Lineup of PCs and Tablets for Consumers, available in Japan in November.
    Stylus pen devices with 1024 pressure levels (all likelihood Wacom):
    ARROWS Tab WQ2/M - 12.5" FHD IPS display, Intel i5-4200U/i7-4600U processor, 4GB/8GB RAM, 128GB/256GB SSD, HDMI out, USB 3.0. 175000 Yen (about 1800 USD)
    ARROWS Tab WQ1/M - 10" 2560x1600 IPS display, Intel Atom Z3770 processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB/128GB SSD, USB 3.0. 89800 Yen (about 900 USD)
    ARROWS Tab QH77/M - similar to WQ2/M, dust and water resistant, available at IP55, IP56, IP57. and IP58 (fully submersible!), 209,800 Yen (about 2100 USD)
    ARROWS Tab QH55/M - similar to WQ1/M, dust and water resistant, available at IP55, IP56. IP57 and IP58, 109800 Yen (about 1100 USD)

6. makenx

makenx Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure what I should be getting and would like to receive some suggestions if possible. Thanks in advance. :)

What I need to do with the convertible most of the time:

For work:
    1. Wireless display to a data projector (WiDi or MiraCast)
    2. Use stylus to write on OneNote
    3. Desktop capture recording with voice using a Bluetooth headset
    4. Graphic design

For home:
    1. Gaming (e.g. Guildwars 2)
    2. Social networking

I came down to two brands, Toshiba Portege Z10t/Z15t series, and the Surface Pro 2. Budget is not a problem as long as the convertible can do all/most of the things I mentioned for say, at least two to three years time if possible.

Compare
    Buy the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 on Windows 8.1

I know I'll need an adapter for WiDi/MiraCast and that'll be PTV3000. If there's other brand of convertible that can do the job I'd welcome those feedback too. :)

7. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

makenx, the overall topic of this thread pertains to discussions which help to maintain the device spreadsheet in the original post.
    If you would like a personalized consulation, you should consider posting in the What Tablet PC Should I Buy? forum.

It is possible that you will receive many replies.
    Alternatively, you may be better served at BestBuy where you will find many khaki panted people who are well trained in making decisions for consumers.

Also, for review: Forum Rules

8. brunoosti

brunoosti Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking about buying the new vayo flip 15, but i wonder if 2880 x 1620 resolution won't lead to really small icons. I'll use it mainly to right and study, so, i'm worried about "screen space" but i also have to be able to click the icons with my finger/pen. Most of the time i'll be using onenote + acrobat reader (side by side on the screen), word and excel.
    Could someone send a print screen of a 1288 x 1620 resolution display with some office software running, so as i can have some idea on the size of stuff on screen?
    thank you guys!

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

PPI scaling should run well on Windows 8.1, but I would like to see a screenshot too. Most Vaio Flips haven't shipped yet, it would probably take another month for them to reach customers. I recommend Ars Technica's review which highlights all the niggling issues with the device:
    Also, despite my username, I wouldn't recommend the ATIV Q since I hear it will have a PenTile display (if it ever comes out).

I'm waiting to see the price of the Fujitsu T904. If it's much higher than the Sony Flip 15, I guess I'll buy the Flip.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The DPI is 212. If you have seen a Surface Pro the DPI is 208, so very close to the same. The given the same scaling setting (the SP defaults to 150%), the UI elements will be the same approximate absolute size on the two screens. Your local best buy may not have a Flip to look at but they probably have a surface pro.

Edit: Screen is actually 15.5", so I corrected the dpi to account for this. It now matches spreadsheet =P

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.