List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Yeah just checked their site silo is on the dock. That and it's a bit more than I want to spend with the keyboard dock factored in.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

While I agree that I'm also not quite interested in that price tag at the moment, it's always interesting to see what makes different people turn away. The pen silo doesn't mean much to me. I use a 2 button pen all the time, and most tablet pc's never have them as their default. So I carry an extra one around a lot. I see the obvious benefit of a pen silo, but it's just not a make or break thing for me.

I don't mean to say that I think you're full of it or anything-- it's more that I was just struck by how different user work flows can be that this could not really matter to me, but be a deciding factor for others. Ports on the slate is another one. But I don't plan on using the slate as a real "stand alone" machine like perhaps more business users do- for me, it's more like a mobile auxillary option for mobile situations, compared to the general usage laptop.

3. bloodycape

So far it looks like only the Thinkpad Slate 2 and Samsung Series 5 are the only Atom tablets with ports on the device, while the other Atom models have it on the keyboard only. :/ I am fine with having usb port on the keyboard itself, but I want a full USB and SD on the tablet itself as would like use it to view photos off my camera when I am vacation or even hiking, and I don't want to travel with the keyboard.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

These are mandatory for my next slate, plus a HDMI or display port as well (mini HDMI or display is okay). I want to use the slate portion of the hybrid for presentation, so a port to feed a video/sound signal is mandatory.

Looks like the Thinkpad will have USB, SD and HDMI ports on the tablet. Pen looks like Wacom as well in a Silo. Display is IPS but does not look like it is matt. Non-clamshell dock is a mistake IMO. No atom device seems to have it all yet.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  5. Steve B

I hadn't thought of the value of a full USB on the slate itself for mobile input. Though I guess you'd just dock it for that kind of stuff. I can see the value of ports though, particularly for those who are doing things like presentations.

Re: the Thinkpad-- yeah, I think the lack of a clamshell was a mistake too. Besides, who wants a locked angle for their screen anyways? If it had a clamshell keyboard like the Envy, with an extra battery in it, I'd get the Thinkpad hands down.

6. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe there is a clam shell coming for the Lenovo, but it just hasn't been shown yet.

As it stands now, I like the Lenovo the best. How was the quality of the previous HP Envy? I tend to prefer the "business" class devices over the consumer ones. Is the Envy 2 Elite book quality?

Also, what are the release dates looking like? From what I can tell Samsung and Lenovo are releasing around the Win 8 launch.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

7. hanexs

hanexs Pen Pal - Newbie

No stylus for RT. THat sucks sooo bad. I would pay prime dollar for a tablet with OneNote. Im considering the atom tablets, but worried they might just be to slow.... and the i5's might feel more like a compter then a light slim tablet.

Considering just going with the Note 10.1... but no OneNote.. hmmm

Anyone else in the same boat? Think the Atom ones will be good onenote/browser machines?

8. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm also curious about what kind of performance we can expect from these atom based tablets. If we'll be able to use Sketchbook Pro, Artrage and Photoshop. And what canvas sizes we'll be able to work in?

I know there some info in the hp500 and Motion threads, but were there any other atom based tablets that might give us an idea of what to expect?

Sent from my Galaxy Note

9. Steve B

Yeah, performance is the big issue with the Atom, and until some other poor sap buys a few and tries 'em out, we won't know. ;P

Definitely the hp500 and Motion slates with the previous generation or two of Atoms were quite underpowered. There was the q500 as well. I don't think anyone would expect to be running much of any kind of art applications on any of those options. This knew set is dual core though, and supposedly much much faster besides. So we'll see.

As before, it's really the 2 gb ram issue that bugs me. I don't know how the Atoms are going to perform, but I DO know that 2 gb ram isn't really enough for any kind of mildly serious work. If we can open these up and switch out the ram, that's very good news, but that's the sort of thing we won't know until they're released and played with. If they're x32 and full windows, they should be able to run 4 gb ram, and have 3 gb available, so that's not the issue. It's really about how the hardware is put together that'll define things.

I would actually think we'll be able to, honestly, and if we couldn't that would probably nip all these Atom slates in the bud for me. Most of the recent tablets over the last 2 years have been "sealed" but have allowed this kind of basic upgradability.

10. bloodycape

Yeah the lack of matte is a bit of an issue, it maybe the best device for my wallet. Saw a newer(?) hands on yesterday that said though the screen looks to be IPS it was a bit washed its little, not really good for light photo work. Looks like like my Vaio has spoiled me.