List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Sounds great. In the meantime I added a link to the neogaf post in my suddenly very limited looking list. I'll update as long as it makes sense, but I'll happily pass the torch as well. Go shog!

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think your list should include what storage space they comes with, and digitizer type, if that info is available. Could be useful.

Shame there is no RT tablet with a digitizer. The more I use my Thinkpad Slate, the more I could imagine an RT slate with a digitizer could work for my needs right now. Well it would have to have to come with usb 3.0, and full sd slot.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. JoeS

Agreed, for example, I think the Surface Pro only offers up to 128GB, which is a deal breaker if it is to be my main machine. Shogmaster linked to a post that has pretty much all such info, and he sounds like he's going to make a similar overview soon.

4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't forget the Fujitsu products!

5. JoeS

I'm trying my hand at this whole SkyDrive / Office webapps thing. I know I'm oversharing like this, but that's OK. Online excel sheet: http://sdrv.ms/PVks0T

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's pretty neat. I figured I'd need to install something to see it, but it worked like a dream. The hotlink to the other table that includes laptops didn't work though. It's there, but it doesn't go through. Just fyi.

Great chart!

When we get specs for things like thickness and battery life, it'd be nice to know that as well. I like your distinctions in terms of labels, and I liked that you included the weight with the keyboard and without.

BTW, on the t902, I'm seeing two different weights with the weight-saver in-- 4.1 and 4.4 lbs.... it's not a huge difference, but it's there. I'm unsure which it actually is.

7. JoeS

Thanks. I wish I could have used the SkyDrive embed code in the first post, but alas, TPCR doesn't parse / allow javascript. Probably safer this way. If anyone knows how to embed an Excel webapp table in a post here, let me know.

Edit: apparently embedding webapps is not possible without intervention from the site admin: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/376159-Creating-BBCode-for-iFrame

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Letting everyone edit might lead to tampering/vandalism. My approach is to ask people to submit their figures and have a central authority edit the table. If the number of submissions become overwhelming, then any of the Moderators could help. The table could be published as a JPG with links to a CSV or HTML version. Another option would be to publish the table on the maintainer's website just put a link here. I'm sure that, collectively, we can come up with something both practical and informative. Initially, the table won't be comprehensive or accurate because none of these devices are out yet. But once the launching dates near and forum members buy them, we'll have super detailed data.

Kudos to JoeS for kicking off this initiative!

9. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's an overview of upcoming Windows 8 tablets from c/net asia. It seems to me to have some inaccuracies, though.

Roundup: Windows 8 hybrid PCs - Roundup - Notebooks - CNET Asia

It mentions one I hadn't heard of before: the Toshiba satellite U925t, which is a slider-type with ivy bridge. I don't see any mention of a pen, so it may be ineligible for this list.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  10. JoeS

Nice overview. I looked around on the web, but as you say the Toshiba doesn't seem to have a stylus. It's also missing from Tino's list on Neogaf by the way, so if you have an account there you can suggest it. He has been keeping his spreadsheet up to date very actively.