List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

My ThinkPad tablet has hover functionality, even with the HTC scribe pen.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Maybe the concept of "hovering" doesn't exist in Android. But I'm gonna guess it's been a standard feature in Tablet PCs since their inception, given that the Stylus has always tried to mimic the mouse.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It should be there as I
    ahave aforementioned.

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

If you click on the Excel datasheet, the digitizer type is listed under the M column. The only missing info is for the T902, which uses Wacom, and the Taichi, which is rumored to use Ntrig, I think. Oh, and the Q572, which uses Ntrig.

5. uberpooch

uberpooch Pen Pal - Newbie

Ugh, I was really stoked when Win 8 Pro came out b/c I was hoping to find a convertible tablet/notebook/laptop-ish to replace my work laptop but so far nothing is out there to cater to higher performance users. Here's my list of requirements:

11-12" screen, HD display
    i5 or i7 processor (preferably i7)
    4-8GB memory
    front and rear cameras (or at least one high end camera)
    two USB 3.0 ports
    1 VGA port (connecting to 2nd monitor)
    1 Ethernet port
    SD card slot
    Slide-out, attached, or attachable keyboard
    Stylus pen

If anyone knows of a make/model that meets these specs could you let me know?

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hey, thanks, I've added that info. Do you have a link for the Taichi rumor?

7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I checked the Taichi thread in the Asus subforum, and it gave a link to this article: N-trig DuoSense Pen and multitouch tech to power ASUS TAICHI input -- Engadget

So, definitely Ntrig.

Sounds like you want a Fujitsu T732. It'll only have one front webcam, but it is 1080p.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. mattshields

mattshields Pen Pal - Newbie

Sigh... after months of deliberation, I have finally accepted that I am probably going with a big, heavy, ugly clunker, the Fujitsu Lifebook T902 instead of the slick and sexy Taichi. 1600x900 isn't ideal, but the huge hard drive, the Wacom stylus, and the touch screen that is facing me when in laptop mode will probably be better in the long run.

So, I just called Fujitsu and they're not shipping it with Windows 8 yet. Damn.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oops - my bad for having it on the list! Did they say when they'd ship it with Win8? You could always buy now and upgrade to Win8 for $15. Out of curiosity, what made you decide to go 'heavy'? For people who need power and Wacom, it seems like the Samsung Series 7 hybrid would be a good option as well.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

It is lighter, but at an expense. 4 gigs ram max as opposed to 16 gigs ram max in T902, smaller screen, smaller resolution, lower speed processor... But it is more portable. The T902 with mod bay battery trumps battery life though I think.

So depends on how much power you need. For some, 4 gigs and a ULV processor is not enough.