List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you recheck that Ars article:

2. digitallysane

digitallysane Pen Pal - Newbie

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

@jhoff80 Well shoot, you're right. That means the search for an RT tablet with Wacom is still on.

Edit: Asus press release mentions nothing about Wacom for the RT version, so that's pretty definite. ASUS

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  4. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

Surface Pro is not Wacom. It's either N-Trig or the new company that MS bought. Probably the new company.

5. jhoff80

Nobody knows that for sure. It's almost 100% not N-Trig though, considering that the pen can actually be flipped to use the eraser, and no N-Trig device can do that.

I still think just based on look alone that the tip looked like a Wacom one, but I'm curious why you say that it's definitely not.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Nobody knows that for sure...>>

...However, what we can say is that when the Surface display features were described, that description was identical to descriptions on the Perceptive Pixel website:

"...In an industry first at this scale, we’ve optically bonded the sensor to the display....Near-zero parallax and ultra-low latency combine to deliver a completely natural touch experience..."

Welcome | Perceptive Pixel

You are correct, though, in the sense that until the actual production product appears, we won't know if Microsoft stuck with this initial choice...

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Maybe Samsung Ativ Tab RT(or what ever it's called) will have Wacom pen support, seeing as they make the Galaxy Note 10.1 with a wacom digitizer.

8. jhoff80

Yeah, at this point I'm leaning towards it being that too, I was just curious why he said definitely not Wacom. Like I said, the only one I think it's almost definitely not is N-Trig, myself.

9. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

You could make a case for adding the Fujitsu t902 and the Lenovo x230t, which are Windows 8-ready convertibles that were recently released and are shipping with Windows 7. I think they're both i3/i5/i7.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

@Pianomanos: Those two models are still great choices for Win8, but I'm trying to limit the list to 'next gen' tablets and slates designed with Win8 in mind. Don't let that stop you from suggesting alternative choices though, it's still useful info.