List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, in three years I didn't figure this out. I always wondered 'why the heck does the view start halfway down the table?!' :oops:

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Vaio Z is up for pre-order at Vaio USA. http://us.vaio.com/#features Available in October. The pen looks interesting. Is it N-Trig? I wonder if it will work on the Surface. It looks nice to write with.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The Vaio Z is up for pre-order at Vaio USA...>>

VAIO started accepting pre-orders several days ago. Those who signed up for their newsletter were given an early opportunity. The Z Canvas will also be available through the Microsoft Stores and you can also place pre-orders there (at least in the brick-n-mortar stores; not sure about the on-line store).

PS: The VAIO Z is a convertible tablet and is different than the VAIO Z Canvas. As best I know, VAIO does not plan to sell the VAIO Z in the US, at least for now...

<<...The pen looks interesting. Is it N-Trig?..>>

Yes, it is. VAIO seems to indicate that they offer different nibs for their pen, and they also offer a "matte" screen protector that is not yet available in the US. How these things influence the inking feel of this pen remains to be seen. In some views, the pen may look a little different because VAIO provides a slip-on foam collar for those who prefer a pen with more girth...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Bronsky likes this.
  4. Bronsky

I do wish Microsoft would offer a matte SP for the S3. I wonder how long it will take Vaio to update the CPU to a quad core Skylake?

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I wonder how long it will take Vaio to update the CPU to a quad core Skylake?..>>

...As I have speculated in another discussion thread, I think that VAIO has to maximize their ROI on the current Z Canvas architecture before they move to an update. So I've never thought that we would see any short-term processor upgrades.

In addition, a quick look at the benchmarks for the 4770HQ shows that it still handily outperforms any likely Skylark U processor, so if folks can avoid getting hung up on the generation and simply focus on processing power, the Z Canvas looks pretty good!

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I get hung up on generation because Skylake promises lower temperatures. I find a hot or noisy tablet is unusable in close range for extended periods of time.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah. That's still a big advantage a pad of paper has over so much of this advanced tech. It doesn't whine at you while you're using it.

Mesosphere and surfaceproartist like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  9. Bronsky

My S3 is as quiet as my legal pad.

thatcomicsguy and Kumabjorn like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ahhh, but your legal pad won't run out of battery or lose Wi-Fi connection.

Balbutio ergo sum