List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder why they are not advertising the Dell Inspiron 13 anywhere with active stylus capability, is that Synaptics still that bad? :rolleyes:

On the Lenovo site (link) the new Yogas are just advertised with 'new digitizer pen', in the Lenovo forum it has been confirmed as fully functional (new) wacom digitizer: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-CES-2015/The-new-ThinkPad-Yoga/m-p/1847469#M72

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

In the past at least Synaptics was pretty bad. Dell recently introduced a new "silver barrel" pen that many have claimed is a big improvement. I'm highly skeptical. Unfortunately my Dell Venue 8 pro was destroyed so I can't test out the new pen. I'm skeptical as I've heard people say with previous revisions, that I have tried, that it was "fixed", but in my opinion, and I think the majority, it was still nowhere near Wacom EMR quality. Also, N-trig and others have been trying for many years and still have not been able to achieve Wacom EMR's level of performance. N-trig is now pretty good, but only after many years of refinement.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

A nice little tablet was just showcased: the Panasonic 4K Toughpad: a 20" 5-pound tablet with GeForce GT 745M GPU. At 1:14 in the video the MS rep states that it has an active pen. Shiny!

Edit: hmm.. the official info page states 'optical pen'. Interestingly it states 2048 pressure levels and 'nearly pixel accurate', see here. And apparently the tablet can handle multiple such pens simultaneously.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Zeelobby likes this.
  4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting that its optical. Reminds me of Samsung's original surface table where touch and other inputs were captured via optics in the screen. I think recently NVIDIA was discussing similar tech as well. Sadly I'm probably out of this race as I just picked up a Note Pro on eBay for $430, but I'll always read this thread. Who knows, maybe the SP4 will be flawless and I'll jump back. I just can't ditch pure Wacom yet...

JoeS likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey! Looks like my turn to jump in with, "Old News" (sorry). There's been a thread about that Panasonic beastie for a few months.

I don't think many of us here would be in the market for that machine regardless. If I recall, the projected retail price point made a modern Cintiq look like a cheap knock-off.

Looks cool though, in an experimental Italian sports car kind of way. I think they were aiming at top flight architectural firms as their primary market.

JoeS likes this.
  6. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like some kind of anal thermometer. Ouch

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oops, you're right. Oh well, at least it's a first in this thread. :)

8. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. DeXert

DeXert Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,
    Been looking for a specific laptop or tablet hybrid to fit my needs and this forum has brought me a little closer.
    So is there a touch laptop with pen pressure support, with an actual dedicated GPU (cuda would be nice for 3D Rendering+) that has a quality IPS display that has 100% colour or close enough to it.
    Is that so much to ask?
    The Dell m3800 precision or xps came close but without confirmation of active pen pressure support.. (I think i read somewhere the m4800 or other precision laptop supports this?)
    A 360 display hinge would be pretty cool too...
    Thanks lads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.