List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Meh... =P

More expensive (for now) than the Asus and it has the new "N-trig like" AES (active electrostatic) Wacom, which I suspect will be a downgrade overall (they designed it to be a cheaper alternative). Still, I'm interested to see how the pen turns out. Although my gut says no, its not impossible that it could be an improvement for note taking. If the AES pen doesn't suffer from the intermittent reliability problems that many battery based pen technologies do, hover distance is improved over N-trig, it has good driver support, it has good precision and lays down the ink "buttery smooth", it would probably be better for note taking than EMR (electromagnetic resonance) pen. I'm just doubtful it will check all of those boxes.

And of course there is the circumstantial problem of the pen not being cross compatible with my EMR based convertible tablet and Galaxy Note phone, but not everyone is in the same situation.

2. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Definitely tempted to give it a shot. Surprised it's being released now with Bay Trail when Cherry Trail is just around the corner: http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/intel-cherry-trail-arrives/, but I guess Toshiba has always kind of done this.

I wonder if we'll see any stylus equipped Cherry Trail 8" note-taking tablets this CES...

3. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

Meso, I will be satisfied if the pen works without doing mesoodoo things. And price is not as bad as I thought (Toshiba originally announced price around 500 USD for 8", but with 3yrs warranty).

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Mesoodoo things are the best part.

jvloyola likes this.
  5. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

New ThinkPad Yoga 12,5. Seems to still have the Wacom Digitizer, though not explizitly mentioned that it's Wacom.

news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1876

Edit: Lenovo Active Pen for 14" and 15". What the hell is that ?!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Things are starting to look bleak for devices featuring Wacom's EMR tech, I'm afraid. :-(

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I still hope some of the Yogas will have Wacom, but the naming makes be a little nervous as well. And just when I had decided that the Yoga form factor was my preferred solution!

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Well from the video I saw over at the Verge they briefly showed the 12.5in in a group shot with the 14in(which includes option NVidia gpu) and 15in, I noticed the Yoga 12 had silo with the red eraser Lenovo Wacom pen in there.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think you're right on the Wacom for that unit, and I hope you're right on the eraser bit. I don't think any recent models have had a stylus with eraser in the silo. Recently the red back of the pen has been branding rather than a functional eraser.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Yeah it was probably branding, since the pen was in the silo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.