List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think the only real note to make would be to make it clear on the first page of this thread that Pentium in the case of the Vaio Flip 11(and a few other non pen-enabled tablets) is Atom based, and not I Core. As for battery life, you could always just put a link to a proper review(if there is one), that way people get an idea of the device.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Added the Thinkpad 10 data to the first post and the table. It's all rumors at this point, but pretty solid rumors!

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

TL;DR

I read that Toshiba is coming out with a 4K laptop. Could a screen like that have an active digitizer?

4. pm771

pm771 Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally the main things I'd like to add
    - screen size, resolution
    - weight with and without keyboard
    - battery life with and without dock

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That info is all in the excel sheet that the first post links to. Next to the waving smiley.. :)

6. msplb74

msplb74 Pen Pal - Newbie

First Joe S - thanks for the xls, very helpful.

OK - some questions if folks don't mind. I'm looking for a new laptop, actually I am looking for a solution for a new business I'm setting up (professional services) and will be moving away from the thinkpad x220 I've been battering for a while now. I fly A LOT for work historically and expect this will continue. Although I have found that I need a keyboard (I bought the first iPad on the day it was released on a trip in the US and brought it back to the UK, and retired it from regular service after the honeymoon period) I expect that a few of the folks in the team (maybe 2 of 6 people) will really not be composing anything material and could live with a tablet solution rather than full keyboard. I would like a digitizer as I find it ridiculous not to be able to note-take on my machine in handwriting.

So - I had been considering the sony line-up (currently in Japan and managed to get my hands on most things other than Dell) however given Sony's recent announced intent to sell their laptops business to a local Japanese player that seems like too big a risk (plus the battery issues and recall currently underway) which is a shame as they felt nice other than the weirdness of the screen which isn't 'flat' when flipped. Looking simply at the reviews, if the Dell XPS11 came with an i7 option that would look like a winner, but it seems to me if you nix the sony line up, and weight matters, (and $$ isn't a major factor) then you are left with either the XPS11 or the thinkpad yoga. The XPS seems like it may be underpowered with 4 of ram and an i5, and the thinkpad yoga is heavy and seems screen limited. On the plus side the TP Yoga feels nice when you handle it (if heavy). My wife actually has a yoga 1 which is a nice machine if not touch enabled. This pairing both seem compromised to me - so I'm beginning to think about detachable keyboard options, but any thoughts appreciated! Also - anyone have experience now of really using their Wacom / Ntrig devices for notetaking ?

Cheers

Mark

7. Floeezy

Floeezy Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently bought a Thinkpad Yoga (i7 4600U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) and I must say it is a very well built machine. The hinges are very sturdy, and the key lock mechanism is great to have. Note-taking is a pleasure: smooth and silky writing with the computer never running too hot; however, I haven't tested it for long periods of time yet.

What finally made me decide in getting the Thinkpad Yoga over others like the XPS 11 is the added screen real estate, Wacom digitizer, and good build quality. I suggest you compare MobileTechReview's look at the Thinkpad Yoga and the XPS 11. I believe your final decision will become clear.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. msplb74

msplb74 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Flooezy - I had actually come to the decision of getting myself the TP Yoga earlier this week, so now I just have to figure out what warranty extension I'm going to go for, but can't wait to get my new machine. Great to hear that you are finding the note taking a good experience!

9. Vitya

Vitya Pen Pal - Newbie

How come Lenovo Thinkpad x230t is not mentioned?

this bugs me a lot,

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

X230T is a Windows 7 Machine by Default....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.