List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Tablets have been used in the field long before the iPad came out. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s when 1366x768 was "high res", people still wanted outdoors computers, and 2kg didn't seem like that much. Panasonic was the go-to company back then. In fact, they still advertise their tablets as weighing "just 4lbs".

2. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Too true. Us young folk just aren't used to heavy lifting anymore...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

3. mstoller

mstoller Pen Pal - Newbie

According to tabtimes.com: Pricing for the R12 starts at $2,299
    not cheap for a basic window tablet - but for a ruggedized tablet, it may be priced reasonably

While I would like this to be lighter (and a lot cheaper) - the R12 seems to have a lot of features that are missing from other high performance tablets, such as: hot swappable batteries, full size hdmi and SD, a screen that is usable outdoors.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Motion Computing isn't looking to sell these in mass especially to consumers and/or Prosumers, they sell into Medical, Fleet, Industrial and Government Customers. The price is inline with their market. In 2 to 3 years we will see these start popping up on EBay and we'll see them in the hands of the Tablet Faithful.

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly, probably sooner then 2 years considering the number of medical web/iOS/Android apps I've worked on in the past year. If there's anybody who *****es most about the weight of a tablet it's doctors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

6. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, Panasonic also markets their product towards people who need something nearly indestructible. A toughbook is heavy because of its ruggedness, but on the other hand, it can take a beating most laptop wouldn't even survive.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

THAT is the most exciting tabletPC to come out of Motion in a long time. It's incredibly well balanced for what it is. Powerful, rugged, and those accessories look amazing and very functional/practical. Such a nice big screen too. How many other 12.5" 1920 x 1080 screen slates out there?? beautifully light and thin for being rugged AND user replaceable parts. This thing aint no cheap little android toss away after a year or 2, this is Motion baby, and that price is AWESOME for what you get. Go compare to the same specs and rugged offerings from Panasonic and then call it expensive.
    I can't wait for those to start popping up on Ebay.

and 9 HOURS battery life!! for a powerful i-core slate, that is impressive.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

As I read this I glanced to the left half expecting to see a username like 'mcfan' with only one post. :) Let me read it again without the skepticism.

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Nice. It's about time Motion Computing came out with a new model. Very old school. Since the battery is replaceable, this tops my list of potential TC1100 replacements (which I'm still using daily, ha!). I like stuff built to last, and their stuff is always built to last.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Added to the first post and the table. Thanks a lot for putting together the list of specs! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.