List of Windows 8 and RT tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TickTakashi

TickTakashi Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this feeling that a lot of people who are mentioning NTRIG as a big negative factor haven't used Duosense 2.

I have been using Wacom devices for a while, I even bought the Cintiq Companion, but I recently got the chance to play with the Duo13 and the digitizer was just so good I just can't handle using my Wacom Devices anymore...

I think I must have been fanboying over the Wacom tech, because I spent a little while in denial about it. Now that NTRIG has released full Wintab 64-bit compatibility drivers I just dont think I can't justify favoring Wacom over them now. This will be a controversial opinion, but It's not just that they've "improved", the tech is actually just "better" in many ways. There is zero parallax, high accuracy, absolutely no need for calibration, no problems at the edges of the screen. I hope this prompts Wacom to step up their game.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Are you an artist working full time with your device? I own both a Ntrig Duo 13 and a Wacom T902 and I can safely say the Wacom is superior for drawing and painting in nearly every way. I realize its a subjective topic, but I find the Ntrig so frustrating I quickly give up and resort to the mouse.
    My gripes:
    -hover lag is TERRIBLE. It makes me wait for a second before clicking or drawing anything if I have to move the cursor, plus it floats at varying distances from my pen tip as if it's just "guessing" until I put the pen tip down. then it's bang on. Here's a video I made a while back : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYBstWuXtdY

-pressure curve is lacking in contrast to Wacom. I can at least customize Wacom pressure curve, but Ntrig is janky and not smooth unless you use software that smooths it for you like CLip studio paint.

-the little tail at the beginning of each stroke. If you draw quick strokes with Ntrig it stalls for a fraction of a second, vectoring between your start point and a split second into your stroke making a straight "tail" at the beginning of each stroke, making quick crosshatching and curved lines impossible for me. Unless I want tails.

-non customizable buttons. This one is HUGE. why on earth is it so hard for Ntrig just to make a driver for their pens and digitizers?? Just a little menu that lets us set the pen buttons. it's infinitely useful from a productivity standpoint on my 2 button wacom pen.

I'm also frustrated with Wacom though, don't get me wrong. They DO need to step up their game. Their drivers are all crap, and their lack of edge accuracy is just an excepted norm. They charge too much and lack innovation. Still, I can handle their shortcomings and still be productive. I can't wait for Ntrig (or any other company) to beat them at their game, but currently my experience doesn't match yours yet.

3. TickTakashi

TickTakashi Pen Pal - Newbie

Disclaimer: Art is not 100% of my day job at this stage. I am in the (indie) games industry so you could say that I spend half my waking hours using these devices for art, and the rest for programming.

Don't get me wrong. NTRIG definitely has its fair share of issues, but the issues with NTRIG devices at this point are of a different class. For things like the clacking sounds and the hover distance, for me these don't effect my actual art since the lines always appear directly beneath my pen and the sound doesn't bother me, and doesn't exist on devices with screen protectors. Also, I have encountered the vectoring issue on both brands of device. The lack of pressure curve manipulation, the initial activation force, these things are the last things left on my list of pressing issues with NTRIG devices, while my list of issues with Wacom devices remains as big as it always has been.

But I guess this is where our priorities start to diverge: For me, the accuracy of the pen and low parallax are more important than physical pen buttons, I found that on my Cintiq I was only using the express keys so much because I simply couldn't switch tools reliably with touch/taps because of the edge inaccuracies. Having the experience where the mark just appears below the pen, where you expect, is totally invaluable to me. Personally: money isn't a big factor, its like the clacking sounds; it doesn't effect the art.

For a very long time Wacom has been the default, the go-to, but i'm now convinced that its no longer the case. I hope that Atmel, Synaptics, nVidia and other companies can make the great strides that NTRIG have made here, competition can only be good for the consumer.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still very interested in seeing what NVidia has to offer. By all accounts the accuracy and pressure sensitivity are pretty amazing, supposedly better then Synaptics or Atmel according to my friends and I who've used all 3. It is still behind Wacom but may even be comparable to NTrig. I'm just waiting for them to offer it on more devices. There's also the relatively large downside of it being Android only at the moment. I have high hopes in seeing where they take the Tegra K1 though...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

5. mstoller

mstoller Pen Pal - Newbie

Another one for the list:

Motion Computing R12
    Processor: Core i5 (4210Y) or i7vPro (2610Y)
    Display: 12.5" 1920x1080 (with wide angle viewing and anti-smudge, anti-reflective display)
    Digitizer: Capacitive 10 point Touch and Wacom Pen (yes, there is an internal bay to hold the stylus)
    Graphics: Intel 4200
    RAM: 4Gb or 8GB (DDR3L 1600MHHz)
    SSD: 64GB, 128GB or 256GB
    Communications: includes ac wifi & Bluetooth; optional 4G LTE or GPS module
    Ports: USB 3.0, Audio, full size HDMI Port, SD Card Slot
    Camera: Rear: 8megapixel, Front: 2 megapixel
    Other: Integrated Fingerprint reader, 9 axis MEMS sensor (accelerometer, compass, etc)
    Dimensions: 12.9" x 8.1" x 0.65" (328mm x 205.74mm x 17mm)
    Weight: 2.95lbs (1.34kg)
    Battery life (claimed): 9 hours (hot swappable battery) - 2.5hrs charge time

Other details:
    Ruggedized tablet: MIL-STD-810G, IP54 (water, dust, splash resistant), Gorilla Glass 3, Magnesium alloy internal frame, rubberized enclosure

This is a slate tablet - but they have a nice keyboard system that can magnetically attach to the back of the system

cost: no clue

R12 | Motion Computing

JoeS and santacluj like this.
  6. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm. Cost is key.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I would rank weight right up there as well.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

The weight is a tad up there for a 12.5in device, but the fact it's a rugged tablet with a full size ports, including SD it's kind of forgivable. Now the question is battery life and price.

9. santacluj

santacluj Pen Pal - Newbie

A tablet that cannot be used as a tablet.

10. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.