List of Windows 10 tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stormi, Sep 7, 2015.

1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

We've known since the first gen U processors that they're equally capable as HQ processors at at single-thread workloads. NotebookCheck has a nice comparison for multi-threaded extended workloads, where the i7-7700HQ is still 40% faster than the i7-8550U.

So yes, they throttle under high multi-threaded workloads. Still, it's a nice leap in multi-thread performance for 15W processors.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder what can be achieved with some undervolting.

3. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

It is time we need a similar list for digital stylus!!! Please the mod...

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Not quite sure I understand what you're requesting...

5. okieiam

lol, sorry for my Engish. I mean when there are a lot of so called "Active pen" from Dell, Lenovo, Hp, Asus, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, Wacom etc,....
    No one know which is which of them all.
    We need technology of the pen, if it is N-trig, Wacom, AES, Synaptics .. etc
    Version 1, 2, pro, etc
    Pressure level, eraser, etc
    Compatibility lists
    Interchange ability
    Calibrate ability
    Etc etc...
    I think now we have more pen in the market than 5 years ago when this PC list was made

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Don't matter at all

If it's 2017 Wacom AES, it's compatible with all 2017 Wacom AES digitizers.
    If it's Microsoft, it's compatible with all Microsoft digitizers.
    If it's Samsung Wacom EMR, it's compatible with all Samsung Wacom EMR.
    If it's Penabled/Feel Wacom EMR, it's compatible with all Penabled/Feel Wacom EMR devices.
    If it's anything else, throw it in the trash.

The pen specs themselves don't matter because performance is always tied to the digitizer. All that matters is ergonomics and that the pen actually functions properly.
    If you want a Microsoft pen, get the newest Surface Pen or a Wacom Bamboo Ink.
    If you want a Wacom AES pen, get a Wacom Bamboo Ink or a Huawei MatePen or Wacom Bamboo Smart 2-in-1.
    If you want a Samsung Wacom EMR pen, get the Tab S 3 S Pen or the largest S Pen you can find (Bamboo Feel/Smart for Samsung almost can't be found any more)
    If you want a Penabled/Feel pen, you cannot find a decently-priced pen online any more (remember when UP-911E sold for $60? Remember when Bamboo Feel sold for $30? I can actually make quite a lot of money flogging Wacom Bamboo Feel pens on eBay, if there's actually a market for them.)

okieiam likes this.
  7. okieiam

Thank you for your information.
    The problem here in fact we don't have access to all range of the stylus.
    Because we have tried some pen available here for cross device. Technically, same digitizer tech will work with same stylus tech, but the matter is they not work properly in term of cross-device, cross-brand.
    For example, for Wacom EMR:
    I have tried various small S-pen on Windows tablet and vice versa. S-pen function poorly in Windows tablet. I have to press really hard to get pressure. Also some old pen from 3th or 4th device has only 256 level of pressure, feel no good at drawing.
    Another example, for Wacom AES:
    You mention Wacom Ink. But we have stock access to Dell Active Venous pen and Dell Active New pen p556W here, instead of online order an Bamboo Ink pen from Wacom.
    However, please understand, in Asian access to inking accessories is not as easy as in other region in the World. There is no show-room, or store, openly to test, unless we bring our device to a personal, private retailer and don't know where he got that pen. So we must know something before we go to the local retailer.
    There are also people selling second hand devices which they purchase oversea. Their eco-system come by also. Lot of ThinkPad Pen can be brought locally here, where I am. But the information on such accessories are in doubt. Part number may be missing, wrong version, etc, etc, make thing more complicated.
    And finally, for N-trig, I've heard that may be version 2 not work for version 1 tech? Am I wrong?
    I want to make life easier by purchase some pen locally if I could, and test them before buying. It that a matter?
    I don't remember a thread that some one claim he has a "COLLECTION OF PEN" due to useless online order

8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's a very positive sentiment, but a table with this information would have a lot of redundancy. Will it list every Samsung EMR pen and every tablet PC digitizer? That's a lot of pens to check on a lot of devices. All that information can be summed up with "Samsung EMR pens have a large cursor offset on tablet PC EMR digitizers and vice-versa." Same with Wacom AES pens: "pens from first-generation Wacom AES might not work with 2017 and newer Wacom AES digitizers and vice-versa." And as far as we know, all DuoSense/Microsoft pens work on all DuoSense/Microsoft digitizers.

Since availability is becoming more and more scarce, it's always best to buy the current widely available model, rather than go looking for those rare and expensive models, or trying to figure out cross-compatibility with older pens.

As for pens with 256 levels of pressure, where would anyone even find these ancient pens? Is anyone selling first-generation DuoSense pens? First-generation Penabled pens? Can you even find pre-2017 Wacom AES pens? I can't even find the last-generation Bamboo Feel pens online for a sane price.

I mean, if anyone wants to do it, good for them. But it's a lot of work when realistically, people will buy the most widely-available pen that's compatible with their device, and won't go looking for first-gen DuoSense, AES, or EMR pens.

okieiam likes this.
  9. okieiam

Thank you for your understanding, I don't know the situation, let's say like in India or China, or Japan. You know there are second hand market here, that's why it is easier for us to find only one or two generation behind the latest. Even very old men defies. There are eco-system like that here.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member