List of Windows 10 tablets and convertibles with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stormi, Sep 7, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

RT545 and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In terms of CPU performance, I remain skeptical that the 15W quad-core ULV will come anywhere close to the 47W 4770HQ. Graphics performance of the MX150 however should be a solid 50% improvement over the Iris Pro 5200.

I am pleasantly surprised by the EMR digitizer (the "new style" with tilt):...

[​IMG]

(Acer)
    "The latest reincarnation of the Switch has an embedded stylus powered by Wacom EMR technology that features 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and pen tilt support to control the angle, width or shading of the stroke. This stylus is now battery-free, and cased in the sleek outer shell designed to provide users with a more authentic writing and sketching experience when using Windows Ink."

As for if it's a worthy Z Canvas successor...how 'bout I just give a triple crown award among the current best slate/detachables (I want them all haha! :p):

Performance/Build Quality -> Z Canvas (still king ;))
    Display -> GB12 (yummy OLED colors just too good to resist)
    Overall -> Switch 7 (the Surface/MSP killer in the making?)

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    RT545 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

That is where my opinion lies as well. I imagine when multi-threaded kicks in, there is going to be heavy throttling in order to remain within a TDP that is safe for the platform's restrictions (thermal envelope and battery load).

4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

6. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's why I mentioned the Lenovo, as it also has a quad-core cpu, LTE, and a more compact form factor.

7. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

The Acer certainly hits most if not all the elements enthusiasts of this form factor desire to have in a device. It's still an Acer @$1700 with a new unproven gen one cooling system. I'm not sure I would commit that much cash to an Acer product, much less take a risk with their new cooling. Maybe I would feel differently when they release their refreshed Gen 1 or Gen 2 model?

At least Lenovo have a better reputation for producing products that last and perform as expected for the most part at least.

I agree it does look like the ODM's have finally notice the markets potential and they seem to be setting their sights on the Surface line as their benchmark. Things have already become very interesting, with this years product releases. I suspect it's going to really heat up over the next couple of years, especially once the AMD processors start becoming more accessible, and competition in the processor market becomes a thing again, for the first time in a decade. We should see some amazing developments as we sit by and watch ARM, AMD and Intel battle it out. The dollar to performance ratio is going to benefit consumers in the mid term imho. We should also see a lot more developments in heat dissipation and cooling technology, as manufactures strive for fan less solutions as compact devices continue to gain popularity, driven by high end portable gaming rigs and the diverse tablet/portable device markets.

Computer tech seems to be having a new lease of life...I wonder if we are going to see the desktop market take another serious hit as a result? I know of at least one major corporate who is already looking at tablet and USB-C docking solutions as part of their next hardware refresh. Part of the reasoning is hot desk advantages, where employees can effectively take their entire device to a totally different location, and carry on working with out productivity suffering. I don't think it's a coincidence that we are starting to see some interesting mid to high end devices appearing, in quick succession, if other corporates are taking a similar interest?

There are probably some worth while power savings to be had across multiple devices, plus the heat reduction will reduce environmental management costs.

An added bonus is that M$ wont gain enough of a footing in this market now to become the next apple, which seems to be one of their goals, judging by some of their strategies, with Windows 10 and the Surface being a big part of their attempt to move in that direction. Luckily there are enough enthusiasts and Corporate users out there to make it difficult for M$ to dumb the OS down to apple standards! We got the start button and desktop back and better management of updates etc. If M$ ever manage to morph into an Apple clone, Linux will suddenly gain yet another influx of disgruntled Windows abusers imho.

Interesting times indeed...hopefully we will all benefit as a result!?

8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The Switch Alpha 12 uses the same tech, and it runs cooler with the same amount of throttling as other devices in its class. So it works. The only question is if a 15W quad-core can perform like a 45W quad-core.

sonichedgehog360 and Shizaru like this.
  9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I wasn't aware of that thanks for the info.

If they start approaching 45W performance there will be a lot of heat to dissipate, especially from such a confined area, surely the risk of thermal runaway would be significant?

10. sonichedgehog360

Answer:
    A 15W quad-core does perform on par according to these results which I shared, albeit over-excitedly, in the Intel 7th Gen CPUs On Schedule for Later This Year thread just a little over a week ago. Sustained multi-threaded tasks like Cinebench perform on par with a 45W quad-core i5. Lighter multi-threaded tasks like Photoshop perform very close to (roughly 7% slower than) a 45W quad-core i7.

upload_2017-9-1_1-0-41.png

upload_2017-9-1_1-1-52.png

Source:
    http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/i...ke-specs-performance-and-detailed-benchmarks/

Of course, this is assuming the thermal load is truly 15W, not a fudged number. Intel has had an awful habit of cooking the books lately, such as with Kaby Lake desktop CPUs like the Core i7-7700K which they misleadingly rate at the same 91W TDP as the Skylake-based Core i7-6700K. In reality, the i7-7700K puts off quite a bit more heat as shown below. It is very noticeable: there is an extremely wide jump of 35 degrees Celsius!

[​IMG]

This happens to be a Kaby Lake CPU as well–it isn't Coffee Lake–which makes me somewhat leery knowing how Kaby Lake on desktop performed. As such, I remain skeptical until these "15W" quad-cores are thoroughly tested. Hopefully @cbutters will get a chance to run his famous gamut of throttling tests on this to check for such thermal problems. Maybe fans will be a requirement for peak performance if power dissipation in real-world use ends up being higher than this idealized 15W TDP rating suggests?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    stormi likes this.