List of Programs for the Artist

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ice, Dec 4, 2010.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No problem - if you do, can you correct something regarding Pencil:

"The vector layer and tools are rubbish, they don't behave as expected however the bitmap animation drawing layer provides a great quick way to rough out a piece of animation. Once you start animating beyond 3-4 seconds you start to run into problems though."

2. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Forgot about this handy thread. Not sure if the OP wants to add in that Celsys is now handling ClipStudioPaint on their own. No longer can you get MS5 in digital format due to this. CSP is now officially translated from the developers themselves, and its 50$. Hopefully that means the latest updates will come faster than it was with MS5 through SmithMicro. CLIP STUDIO PAINT | CLIP STUDIO.NET
    For those with Clovertrail CPUs, from my experience it is very usable. I tested with a blank 6000x6000 canvas @ 300 dpi, and I was able to sketch rather smoothly. I also downloaded some samples, some of the files were about 300 mb big, and I was still able to sketch on a new layer rather ok. Haven't been able to use it in depth yet, but it looks good. I can only imagine it gets better with newer hardware, especially with Bay Trail tablets.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Just a head up, Celsys is giving 20% discount for CSP now

4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just a heads up, Manga Studio 5/Clip Studio Paint Pro are on sale right now (and digital download of MS5 is back). The bundle with other programs seems like a potentially great deal:

Digital Artist Bundle Sale
    Manga Studio 5

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm throwing myself into uncharted territory here with picking up drawing on a tablet (Surface pro 3 with N-trig). I figured I'd make it easy for myself to practice by drawing on top of existing images to get a better feel for proportions and stuff.

The problem is that I'm so new at this digital stuff, that I'm not sure what is suitable to use for drawing. I'm only interested in doing some easy line art to begin with, so all I need is nice lines. (And maybe some easy rotation/zoom/move options.) Am I right to go with pens and such, or should I go with some kind of vectors or other line smoothing methods to get less jagged lines? I think I read some paint program (forgot which), had stuff like smoothening of the curves of lines and such, and that sounded pretty cool.

If anyone have any tips on program to use for basic line art and that works well with minimal GUI and touch focus? Layers is a plus I guess, as well is being free. Tones and such for comics sound fun too, but probably for the future.

Must be for windows of course.

6. Ice

Ice Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm... Surface Pro 3, eh? That's a tricky one. I only have the original myself, so I'm not sure what's compatible. Looking at Surace Pro Artist's list of what works and what doesn't, I would suggest Sketchbook Pro - a nice touch oriented interface that's very minimal, touch gestures, smooth lines, basic layers...

If you're coming from an purely traditional background you might feel more comfortable to sticking to raster things (pens and brushes) and try vectors once you're used to that. And I don't know any vector software with the features you are looking for off the top of my head, haha. At least, not ones that take full advantage of a tablet pc.

Not free, but it's pretty cheap - I think I got mine for $23 on Amazon? I could have sworn there was a limited and free express version for desktop (not the Win 8 store one), but I can't seem to find it at the moment. There is a trial if you'd like to give that a go, though.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Malamasala, the number one choice for line art on any Windows tablet is Manga Studio 5 or its equivalent Clip Studio Paint. Neither is free, but both can be purchased very inexpensively and are frequently discounted.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

MS5/Clip Studio Paint allow for both raster and vector layers in the same image.

Then you can see which you prefer. I find I use both depending on what I want to achieve.

For basic pencil work, I find that raster works best; what you see is what you get with no hangups. Vector is weird when penciling. -For instance, when I want to scribble an eye or something black, vector engines have to scramble to make that happen, trying to create a complex math line and usually failing to get something so simple right. Vector is great, if not terribly intuitive, when you want to lay down precise ink lines over your layouts. I find raster inking easier, but I'll certainly use a vector layer when I want to ink very exact lines, such as those on machines or buildings and such.

All that being said, I don't use MS5 or CSP, despite its being excellent software. I use Photoshop for pencils and fills, and MangaLabo for inks. I like Artrage when I want a paint effect.

9. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Quick question, does CSP have Warp tool? I've been using CSP for a short while and couldn't seem to find one. However I remember having read that Clip Paint Lab (CSP beta version) already had one.
    http://sai.detstwo.com/forum/index.php?topic=1556.msg6084#msg6084

[​IMG]

*edit:
    found it! It was called Mesh transformation in CSP.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mischief, the innovative vector art program that features an infinite canvas, has been purchased by The Foundry. They've released a new free version and lowered the price of the paid version to only $25. The new version supports multitouch gestures and has improved palm rejection on the Surface Pro 3. I highly recommend you take a look. https://www.madewithmischief.com/