List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In case you overlooked it: the Onyx Boox Max 2 that Steve S mentioned above also has (will have) an HDMI port for use as a monitor.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Onyx, seeing the stylus in action, was the first time I thought, "Okay, maybe this can work!"

The stylus must be triggering some very clever and specific solution on the hardware/software side to be so responsive. When Photoshop-capable processing and memory becomes cheap enough, (if that's what's holding them back), to justify eInk gear, -I think (hope) we'll see some cool stuff in that area!

(My main vision being Cintiq-sized eInk boards. We're getting very close, even with colour.)

WillAdams likes this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. thatcomicsguy

Oh my... Now THIS is interesting!

The Onyx Boox Max 2 can be used as an external monitor with HDMI...

Does that also allow the connected computer to read pen input, thus turning this into an eInk Cintiq?

I don't know if that sort of data can be moved through HDMI, but it also has a USB port...

Hmm...

6. thatcomicsguy

Holy smokes!

It CAN take pen input while acting as an external monitor. (See the video at 30 seconds as well as other spots where the user is clearly using the pen to interact with the off-board OS.)

I doubt it would be particularly satisfying to use with something like ClipStudio Paint, however. -Not only is the image being routed from an external device, subjecting any line you draw to the same slow video update process as seen in this YouTube clip, but the Onyx systems have obviously been heavily streamlined with in-house code to make those pen strokes super speedy when used in conjunction with the various proprietary software apps bundled on board, but... What a step forward!

I'd love to try this out!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And it has a Wacom EMR digitizer on board.
    I don't think they were using the A2 mode in that video. Significantly speeds up rendering. If I'm correct you work in B&W, right? Then the two bit A2 mode is enough to work in since grey scale is a raster illusion, no?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

The real bottleneck would be the basic refresh rate after receiving data over HDMI. It would only ever look as good what we see the mouse pointer doing in that video. (Not good). The reason the board offers such a nice drawing experience on natively run software probably indicates some really clever firmware/software optimization which Photoshop, (for instance), would need to be redesigned around.

I'd really dig having an eInk board to draw on, (they even have big colour ones now which look pretty good), but I don't think we're going to see a Wacom style solution for a while yet.

Though, I'm sure somebody is working tirelessly to increase video response times on eInk screens. When they get close to par with regular LCD tech, then we'll probably see some cool stuff hitting the digital art market!

The other cool possibility would be if one of these eInk OEMs were to put their screen on some Intel architecture. -Or even on a WOA machine- and apply their brand of stylus voodoo to get the pen response times up to the point where Photoshop and CSP would work nicely.

It's all possible right now.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My guess is that it is a response to all the complaints about file transfers for the DP-RTP1.