List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That sounds way better (see also the Verge) than my $700 Sony DPT-RP1. Wacom, so no battery in the pen to keep track of, Android, so simple drag and drop in Windows without running some finicky sync app, support for many file formats as opposed to only PDF, a hardware 'back' button so you can actually click a link and get back to where you came from, and even a HDMI (micro?) connector to use it as a monitor!

The two downsides: outdated Android, larger bezels than the DPT-RP1, and even more expensive than the DPT-RP1.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I believe it is running Android Marshmallow and that should be more than sufficient for an e-ink device. Onyx is also coming out with a Boox Note, a 10" factor device. Maybe something for those working with comics?

4. JoeS

What I was getting at when I call it a downside to be running Android 6 aka Marshmallow is that it might not be as secure as Android 8 aka Oreo. Writing this though, I'm actually not sure whether Google retroactively patches older versions. Would the Boox Max 2 Pro receive regular security patches, or does Android 6 contain known vulnerabilities that will never get patched?

5. Kumabjorn

Updates on Android is a riddle wrapped in a mystery. I do believe that Google send out security patches but only when there is an imminent threat, otherwise updates are supposed to be handled by operators and vendors, but who does what is inside that big conundrum.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

6. JoeS

That sounds about right. I don't use Android on a regular basis, but I'd be hesitant to install too many apps on a device running an outdated Android version. Then again, the security model of the Sony DPT-RP1 is "nobody knows how the heck the thing works". :D

7. Kumabjorn

Although never officially acknowledged I do believe the Sony was released as a vertical solution, law firms, research institutions, intelligence agencies and such. It seems to be impenetrable from the outside and document transfer requires good voodoo connections.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

An Indiegogo project that actually delivered on time? It's a Christmas miracle!

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tempting!

It's good to see this tech being developed.