List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got a Good e-Reader 13. It's an interesting device. The pen has no battery, but it does not respond to any other wacom stylus I have. The previous owner reset it, hosing the Google Play store, which I have been unable to restore. I'm not having luck sideloading much because of the old version of Android, but it comes with ezPDF reader, which is not bad.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Try installing a Google account under Settings-->Accounts that usually install all the Google stuff you need for Play Store.

3. violajack

Selecting accounts crashes settings. I got a play store installed that would run but whenever I tapped install on anything it would crash. But I was able to log into the play store, just not install anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

4. Kumabjorn

That sounds like one faulty device.

I'm assuming you bought it to use for musical scores. There are other ways to get APKs and install them.

5. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is why ebooks should all be in PDF and e-readers and tablets should be larger. Like 8.5-9.5 inches. I've heard there have been studies suggesting that reading ebooks leads to less retention because all the pages and all the books look the same. Publishers should want to differentiate by page design, and also help the reader be oriented with page numbers, headers, footers, footnotes, etc in their right places. It would also help with studying and research, particularly with citations. Why don't publishers and eBook stores understand this? Why isn't there an eBook store that sells all books in PDF format?

Fluffyfurball and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. violajack

Doubtful it's faulty, just missing proper Google services. A known problem on reset, but with the support forums gone, I'm not sure how to fix it. Thankfully, the developer of mobilesheets was willing to provide me with a current apk and it sideloaded fine. Works well enough. Sadly I haven't been able to get my backup to restore, but it loads pdfs just fine. Also, the pen sampling is so slow that circles turn into triangles. But I mostly got it to mess with, I didn't expect it to be up to a performance level device. There's no bluetooth, I can't connect a footpedal.

7. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Excellent points. I read those studies. It is disheartening to be reading through a 3000 page textbook with no easy frame of reference telling me where I am. I end up chopping up textbooks into individual pdf chapters: it works better for me that way.

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it's almost as if almost 5 centuries of work in type and typography resulted in a usable, useful product optimized for its purpose or something.

(and yes, I am bitter about how type and typography have been devalued by the new digital age, though a lot of the blame can be placed on the compositor unions which sold out for sinecures, rather than active participation in digital workflows)

9. Kumabjorn

I thought I'd revisit this. Don't know if you are still within a replacement window but Onyx has announced their Max 2 and they offer a pedal for page turning. Saw it on a site called Notebookitalia, should be easy to find.

Marty likes this.
  10. violajack

Craigslist doesn't come with a return window. It's a private sale. I got it to see if it was even something I'd be interested in. It is, and I'm going to be saving my pennies and watching the development of the max 2. In the meantime, the goodereader is fun to play with. I've got account settings working now and almost have a working play store.

Kumabjorn likes this.