List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I guess this can go here. Lenovo's second gen ThinkBook Plus adds an IPS LCD inside like a regular laptop with the e-ink screen on the outside of the lid. Displays are are 13.30 and 12 inch 16:10, 2560 x 1600 with touch and pen (in a silo!) support. 11th gen Intel Core i5-1130G7, 16GB/512GB. Etc.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...w-E-ink-laptop-with-touchscreen.570094.0.html

csm_Lenovo_ThinkBook_Plus_Gen2_4_1_a3405735eb.jpg
    Another "throw it against the wall to see what sticks" attempt by Lenovo, and it won't be a surprise if there's no gen 3, but at least they're trying. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If it could only run ON flawlessly on that outer screen...

Tams and dellaster like this.
  3. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly - plus this would be a good use case for the older style convertibles (eg the ThinkPad Twist S230U, although the form factor had been occasionally resurrected in some smaller recent devices) where you actually turn it into tablet mode by turning around the screen and laying it in the keyboard. This way, you could legitimately use either screen with full access to the keyboard. Probably still not a huge market, but you'd get an extra functionality without any extra hardware needed.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. franzander

Oh interesting, the take-up on the campaign seems to be lower than I'd have thought. But then, nobody has any practical experience with the display technology so far, so that's an extra bit of risk there. (Btw, I didn't understand the difference between their 7.8 inch plain and "Pro" models even after asking through the description.)

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh.

This is actually the coolest eReader on the market. (If you ignore the short battery life).

Think about it...

You could spend the same money, ($1300 USD) for an eReader running some crud flavor of Android and which is slooooooow and annoying and doesn't work, or...

You get something running a core i5 with 16 Gigs of RAM and you don't have to convert all your PDFs and such to eReader friendly files. You can just open any word processor and go.

Psh. No contest!

Sure, the frame refresh on the B&W screen is going to be bad, but so what? The actual brains of the machine are moving at light speed. You could actually get stuff done on that thing, plus you're not stuck in the endlessly frustrating world of Android "Apps".

I wonder if the refresh rate is fast enough to use it as a data entry monitor without it being annoying? (You'd need an external keyboard, of course, but it's the same price as a same-size eInk monitor).

What kind of stylus does it use? Is Lenovo's active stylus worth even talking about?

Anyway, as an eReader, this is pretty cool!

*********************Edit

Hold on.., it's not clear that you can access Windows and the OS through the eInk screen. If it's stuck running loser Microsoft 'Apps' then it's nowhere nearly as cool as I'd hoped.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  7. franzander

Exactly, that's the bit that the Notebook-Check article doesn't actually touch upon. As far as I know, the predecessor was indeed relatively limited in what could be displayed on the external screen, so you weren't able to display just any content/programme on the e-ink screen (not sure how much this was improved by firmware updates). Given the limited coverage, I'm not sure if this has been addressed on the new iteration?

Would be curious to hear more from someone who has actually worked with the device though.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Was the PineNote shared? It's Wacom EMR based, 128gb storage, 4gb of ram, quad core rockchip & it's open source. It's right now pre-orders only. https://www.pine64.org/pinenote/

JoeS likes this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pre-orders currently only open to developers

I'd stay away from it for now. And Pine are known to actually deliver on their devices, but so far (like much of the consumer open-source, Linux, etc. community) haven't delivered a very polished experience. They are also very small so can't get the best components, quality, or supply.

10. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

Got a Onyx Nova 3 Color.
    It's pretty good as a tablet. Not fast but great for surfing the web.
    Colors are OK (dull, brownish) not great, but I thought it's worth the price difference vs a black/white eink tablet.

The worst is actually when you need the backlight. Then battery life is not better than a LED or OLED screen.

Would love to know how to adjust the settings so there is less/no ghosting in ScummVM games.

Ask me any questions.

franzander, JoeS and thatcomicsguy like this.