List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A Wacom eInk board!

The mighty "CinteInk".

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if Wacom has anyone with the foresight to approach eInk with a partnership offer? My gut tells me this is unlikely.

3. YVerloc

YVerloc Pen Pal - Newbie

If you go to shopkits.eink.com you can buy their 32 inch color screen module, and also the controller board for it. Add in a Raspberry Pi to drive it and a roll of microdot film and a pen from Anoto and bob’s your uncle (minus touch).

Bronsky, Steve S and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

Whoa. I keep forgetting that Asian manufacturing means anybody with a credit card can get parts. The 32.2" developer's kit is $2500, so not cheap but still...[​IMG]

http://shopkits.eink.com/product/31-2˝-color-epaper-display-ec312tt2/

Plus, you'd need ReMarkable's special sauce to get it to display brushes at that high speed response time they've worked out.

But shoot... Things are getting close, eh?

Glowing screens have always been a temporary measure in my mind, but I figured "temporary" as in, "forever" given where I thought R&D was today. This is some sci-fi action going on right here!

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Amazon released a new Kindle Oasis, this time a 7" device.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks nice, no stylus support though.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Right, got caught up in the e-ink thing. It has been a while.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

One really nice thing about the new Kindle Oasis it is that you can dunk it in an Oasis, and it will survive. They made it waterproof! I would love to have that on my DPT-RP1, for those occasional raindrops or cups of coffee..

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Actually it looks like Amazon did a decent job of responding to the most common complaints about the 1st generation Oasis. Larger battery, no battery cover, larger screen with the same 300 PPI a 32 GB model for book hoarders or graphic novel enthusiasts. Even a lower price (marginally at least). But I have a feeling the market is fairly saturated by now.

10. thatcomicsguy

I wouldn't mind a larger eInk reader, though my little Sony has been a reliable word trooper. If I get a new one, it'll be because it has a good pen system.

Though, lately I've realized that there is a ton of stuff available on actual paper worth reading. It's nice to have reliable formatting.

I have a terrible time with digital books in that regard. It seems like out of every five books, only one comes without my having to allow for hinky spacing, bad OCR or all the quotation marks turning into ASCII code or some nonsense.

Also...

Have you ever noticed...

Books, even stories which are considered really long, seem surprisingly short on a digital reader where I can't see the number of inches left to go. They'll end and I'll sit there thinking, "That's it? I thought this was supposed to be a LONG book!"

Haptics, man.

In the deep future, where artificial gravity is a thing, I bet it will be used in far more creative ways than simply planting space boots on flight decks!

JoeS likes this.