List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Honestly, I have no idea why my PC refuses to see the Sony when the firewall is on. It does use a network driver for communications, but I can't find the offending firewall rule. A few others report the same, might be something specific about our setups. Most people don't complain about it, so it's more that I'm unlucky. :)

Other than that annoyance, I'd like to have the actual Kindle app, OneDrive, and a web browser on my e-ink tablet. The Sony does PDFs and that's it. It's a strength and a weakness, but if I could get the Sony with those three capabilities added it would be an improvement for me.

2. JoeS

Interesting, looks like if you want a device like the 13.3" Sony DPT-RP1, you can buy the $750ish Fujitsu Quaderno or the $700 Quirklogic Papyr. Software looks virtually identical to the Sony [edit: maybe not! Papyrus is focused on collaboration], pen looks identical, and I suspect the hardware is basically the same. It's almost like a rebranding. No backlight and no full Android though.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is rebranding. Sony wants it dispersed into new distribution channels.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

Lisa has posted her Boox Note Air review.

dellaster likes this.
  5. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Voya published his deep guide about the papyr and it seems to me that software has been customized for collaboration workflow, or is it just a cloud thing? Perhaps it's more than rebranding, after all?

Envoyé de mon Mi 9T en utilisant Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  6. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

My 7.8" likebook mars just broke due to a faulty battery and it was my daily-driver for everything e-reading related. I was even using it for academic paper (but two columns papers were still very difficult to read on). So I need a solid e-reader and at least a 10incher for those acursed two columns papers. So why not the onyx boox note air? that's why I just pulled the trigger on the order button for this. As I'll get also a remarkable 2 by my work, I wonder if both could be used with different and/or combined use cases, as the note taking capabilities of the boox is apparently excellent too ? Something like: ereading and occasional note-taking with the air, long "creative" writing sessions with the remarkable with the air as a reference consulting/browsing device ? What do you think ?

(If the remarkable 2 turns out to be duplicate use, I will give it to a wishing colleague anyway.)

7. JoeS

Sounds good to me! :) I was also considering the Air for academic papers, but tbh personally I find two-column PDFs on my iPad Pro 10.5 still a little cramped. So I think I'm waiting until I see a deal on a Max Lumi, or more likely: sticking with my Sony DPT-RP1. Congrats on your purchase though :thumbsup:

8. JoeS

For those trying to decide between the Note 3 and the Note Air, Voya has posted his review of the Note 3 where he spends some time comparing those two:

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Glad to see Lisa's review, saved me the trouble of even attempting to try one out. That OneNote performance is worthless.

10. JoeS

Yeah definitely don't get these for OneNote until MS adds optimizations for e-ink.