List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

We don't know the price of the Monitor yet, that name suggests that it should be used as a complementary device. Maybe that will be an incentive for a lower price.

I too feel that these devices are way overpriced, but in relation to their sales volume they probably require that level to recover R&D spending. On the other hand a lower price would significantly increase volume, we both believe, so a true chicken and egg situation.

Bronsky likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

As I recall, he eventually found it.:vbwink:

3. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

For now, I wouldn't consider an e-ink device unless they can do all of the following:
    1. pressure sensitivity
    2. hover distance and palm rejection comparable to Wacom EMR
    3. local synchronization with desktop version OneNote (through local network, not through an M$ account or cloud)

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Looks like reMarkable will be shipping shortly to early buyers, with October for those getting in on the 33% discount ($479). A VERY interesting looking device.

[​IMG]

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

These devices are DOA when they don't support OneNote. They will always be tertiary by nature due to screen lag. The closest is the latest Sony which works perfectly with PDF files but nothing else. And if you need access to documents on it while being mobile xB don't forget to bring your laptop.

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Damn! That ReMarkable tablet is a pretty big step forward. -Inking speed looks to be at the point where any delay is inconsequential -to my eye, anyway.

Reviewers so often fail to discuss certain details which are important to me. Like, "Can I export my drawings? And in what format?"

I had to do a lot of hunting before I finally learned the answer to that. -But you can! -It can be done in two ways: By uploading pages to a cloud service over wifi, and from there, downloading your stuff to other devices. At the moment, .PDF and .PNG formats are supported, but .PNG is a fairly solid format for moving black & white graphics around.

So that's semi-workable, in that roundabout Apple Tablet way.

The better way, (which doesn't use wifi) according to this German review...

Keen.

The home brew drawing app it comes with looks surprisingly good for being on an Android device. It has pressure sensitivity, layers and a small but flexible assortment of brushes. The developers evidently worked hard to create as good a drawing experience as possible within the confines of the technology. From what I saw, I think I could actually get some real work done on this thing, or at least some decent sketches. -Though, it doesn't look like you can export actual work files, so any layer information is going to stay stuck on the tablet.

The largest canvas size is fixed at the screen size (I think? Again, reviewers were not clear), and the resolution of the screen is 1404 x 1872. -Which is about the size of a small panel on one of my typical graphic novel pages. I work these days on 6000 x 8400 canvases, so.., 16 ReMarkable screens equals approximately one of my regular pages. I don't think I'd be happy working on single small panels at a time! Ha ha.

But it looks like a fun sketch pad just for noodling around and doing practice work, -with the ability to export any drawings which might be worth keeping. You can blow up pencil sketches and do high resolution inks over top of them on a more powerful art machine. I've done that before with physical paper sketches, so it would mean you can skip the scanning process.

What I'd like to see a larger screen on an art machine with a proper x86 CPU and lots of memory and some decent USB ports, etc. -I doubt that will come along until making computer guts is dirt cheap and the parts are small and very energy efficient.

We're not nearly there yet. The screen refresh times are still far too slow for regular computer use, but if it was JUST intended for use as a digital grey scale sketch pad..,

I wonder if we'll see something like that in the next five years or so..?

That'd be a cool device!

JoeS and Marty like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You know, the thing that really makes these devices amazing is the weight. The DPT-RP1 is 350 grams, that's 12 ounces! The device on its own weighs less than the book I'm reading on it in PDF format. That really makes a huge difference in experience. Grabbing it, it feels like you're picking up something like a file folder, and it doesn't feel like any time it will drop and shatter in a million pieces. It's weird how much of a difference that makes, I really love it. So far for PDF markup only though, I can't comment on drawing or note taking.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Holy smokes! Check this out...

eInk tech has a lot more development push behind it than I realized. Those poster-sized displays look pretty cool. -And it looks like colour is coming along as well.

Decent drawing boards might be a fair bit nearer than I thought.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    YVerloc and Bronsky like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What I want to see is a 24" x 36" (of whatever the metric equivalent is) interactive (touch and pen input) color display like the poster-sized displays in the video.

thatcomicsguy likes this.