List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I almost pulled the trigger on that one yesterday. I have a bunch of Amazon points built up and they had some in stock, but by the time I got to it, they ran out again and now it's not shipping until the 11th. Now I'm going to think about it more.

But this review looks good. The front light is kind of a killer feature for music reading. I've loaded some music on my little Nova and it's so clear and pleasant to read. Though, 7.9" isn't good for much other than reference for stuff I mostly have memorized anyway. I mean, $880 for a sheet music reader is a little ridiculous. But any other tablet option at that size is more anyway. It's just a question of if it's worth it for just sheet music and note taking.

Those activities are mostly heavy summer loaded for me, but with institutes going virtual, they're now happening throughout the year, and I'd have more use for it more frequently. I'm starting a training session in mid October. Hmmmmm.......

This is a really good review (watching while I type). I think I'm talking myself into it as I think out loud here.

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You and me both! If you can stomach reading the news these days, that's also pleasant on e-ink, so maybe that's an excuse? :)

I'm holding off for now, because the Sony does most of what I really need. Close to $900 is a lot for a couple extra "nice to haves". So why am I still tempted? :p

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

It really does seem like if you're desire is to have a very nice, super sized reader, devices like this are the best option. But despite Wacom integration, the writing experience always seems secondary, and not nearly as sophisticated as something like the ReMarkable. It's all about the apps, and the fact that Android pen apps are clearly not optimized for e-ink screens. So it's almost always that you just get the proprietary app the manufacturer provides. For example, they never show inking in OneNote, which, as I understand, generally stinks.

But if you want a device really designed for writing, then something like the ReMarkable works best-- almost entirely because the proprietary writing/drawing software is better on it. But the ereader software on it is very bare bones and doesn't load anything from Android.. It works for my needs, but my reading needs are very minimal.

4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Nova Pro now, so I'm familiar with Onyx's software for notetaking and it's sufficient for my needs. I generally take notes during lectures, but rarely would need to further edit the notes, so it's okay if I move them to OneNote later and can't edit them once they're there. The built in PDF reader inks just fine for my needs as well. MobileSheets has put out an eInk optimized version (in addition to their Windows ARM native version, all done by one guy, it's pretty amazing really).

And the Max does split screen, so I could have the music on one side and notes on the other. Since my Pro X will have to stay upright to run the Zoom meeting.....

Then again, I'm currently not actually doing anything professionally since the pandemic has basically shut down live performances and in person lessons. I'd be okay teaching students I already knew over video, but I have no desire to build a new studio completely over zoom. And there's all these other kids around here that I have to educate too. And I'm doing a lot of that in OneNote.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. JoeS

YouTube channel "My Deep Guide" has started posting indeed in-depth guides of the Max Lumi. Part 1 and part 2 are available so far. He has nicely indexed the videos, so you don't have to watch the entire 85 minutes of it.. :)

Part I:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. JoeS

Yesss! GoodEReader has a Boox Note Air in their possession. Unboxing video is up:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    dellaster likes this.
  8. JoeS

How did I miss this? The GoodEreader review feature walkthrough / advertisement of the Boox Note Air has been out for two days already.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    dellaster likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

But can it run OneNote?

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A nice overview comparing these new slim beauties:

It has access to the PlayStore (@1:57)

[​IMG]

so presumable the answer is 'yes' (although also probably laggy like most e-readers).

JoeS likes this.