List of e-ink tablets and e-readers with stylus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeS, Apr 17, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Brad Linder did not do color ePaper justice with all his poo pooing over it. I had the cool opportunity to see color ePaper signage at the flagship Disney Store at Walt Disney World this January and the results are incredible. It is truly like seeing a real life quality poster with DK quality text and images jumping off the paper. I was actually fooled into thinking it was a painted or printed poster on the wall until the signage transitioned to a different movie poster. Honestly, it is not self-emitting like a display but that doesn’t make it any less desirable because readers want to cognitively feel like it is paper they are interfacing with, where the ambient lighting reflects the image off the surface. If these portable color ePaper displays are engineered right like this high-end signage is, now or eventually, people who want a quality color paper-like experience will buy these color eBook readers in droves.

Marty and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, I'm thinking of impulse-buying / coronabuying an e-ink device, but I kind of want my next one to be color e-ink. Let's hope Boox will jump on the color bandwagon soon.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

In case the link continues to be corrupted:

The Onyx BOOX Nova 2 is a premium eBook reader that’s also kind of an Android tablet. It has a 2 GHz octa-core processor, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, support for pen and touch input, and a 3,150 mAh battery. And the device runs an operating system based on Google Android 9.0.
    But the Onyx BOOX Nova 2 is still first and foremost an eReader. It has a 7.8inch, 1872 x 1404 pixel e Ink display that supports 16 shades of grey, but no color.

Onyx says the retail price will be $339, but the company is taking pre-orders for $315. The Onyx BOOX Nova 2 should be in stock starting March 26th.

[​IMG]

The eReader/E Ink tablet features an E Ink Carta Plus display and a Wacom digitizer that allows you to use a pen with support for up to 2048 levels of pressure-sensitivity. That means you can annotate books with handwritten notes or doodles, or draft new documents or pictures that you can save on the device or send to a computer. The system supports 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1 and the operating system includes a web browser that allows you to surf the web. Other features include a USB Type-C OTG port (for charging, peripherals, or data transfer), a microSD card reader (with support for cards up to 32GB), and an LED front-light system with adjustable color temperature (so you can reduce blue light at night… or any other time, I guess).

[​IMG]

Onyx also says the device has an optional “SNOW Field” mode that reduces artifacts when you’re only partially refreshing content on the display. That could lead to smoother animations, although you’re probably not going to want to use this sort of device for watching videos or playing high-action games.

(Courtesy of liliputing site)

Kumabjorn, Lilawyn and JoeS like this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If this can run the Amazon Kindle app, I suddenly know my next impulse purchase.

violajack likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

9. Kumabjorn

If it can run OneNote I'll be taker. Nowadays I have e-ink devices that can do anything else. Just not OneNote.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I've been wondering about this for a while. Basically, OneNote has been available on Android e-ink tablets since 2017:

Boox even advertises this explicitly:
    [​IMG]

But...

From my research, people have been consistently reporting sub-par inking performance:

(Mobileread forums)
    "Onxy failed to persuade Microsoft to optimize OneNote for E Ink devices. Onxy doesn't have much technical space to improve handwriting experience. They are still trying to find alternative solution."

and a further report here:
    "I have been saving up for the Boox Note with the intention to use handwriting in OneNote. All handwriting apps (except the built-in Note app) are slow on my OB M96, but I thought that was because of the weak hardware + old Android version. Your experiment proves otherwise... Very disappointing..."

So anyone have any first hand experience running OneNote on your e-ink devices? Has it improved at all, or could there be an inherent inking hardware/API limitation?

Kumabjorn likes this.